View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #229
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Friday, April 3, 2009 1:56 PM, CDT

TGIF!

Things are going well for Sicily, even though we don't kid ourselves that complications could arise at any time, we are blessed that they haven't so far on this leg of the journey. There are so many reminders, some subtle, others point blank about the type of situation we are in. Just the fact that we are spending every third week in the hospital is reminder enough. Again, we are one of the lucky ones with how things have been going for us.

Just as I am typing this I can hear out in the hallway the hospital emergency call for a code blue in PICU. A chill runs up my spine and goosebumps pop up on my forearms with the thought of what could be happening there, and about the families dealing with this emergency. It is a hard reality and I am always in full scale admiration for the men and women who work in the medical field. Just imagine how much I am affected by someone like Esther...I always wonder how they deal with this. It can't all be in a days work!

Sicily and I passed by Esther's room earlier while we were on a walk but didn't stop in. There is a helpless feeling, even for us who are just doors down a hallway. But again, I watch and I observe and I marvel at what is around us. It's amazing how much some people can endure. I don't think I could hold it all together as well as they do. But there must be some reason God is allowing me to be a witness to this. I am one of those people who easily carries and gets emotional about others experiences.

Right now, along with Esther and Hollyn, I am thinking about and praying for another brave little soul in California, a five year old boy named Pablo. This very brave little dude is a fellow Wilm's warrior who is battling the same unlucky bi-lateral with unfavorable histology diagnosis as Sicily. He just recently finished his last chemo treatment, but is currently in the PICU at the Children's Hospital in LA fighting for his life due to an infection. It's just so heartbreaking what these kids have to go through. I know I ask it a lot, but please add Pablo to our ever growing list of kiddos who need our prayers.

It's times like this that I wish we lived in a smaller world, at least geographically. I want to meet these other kids and and their families. I want to share our stories and our desires to figure out ways to end this tragedy! There are a lot of folks in the support group I'm involved with online who are traveling to Washington DC in June for an event called "Reach the Day" sponsored by Curesearch. Patrick and I can't go this year, but have hopes of being able to attend in 2010. I don't know a whole lot about it, but it could be a starting point for our involvement in the political arena concerning childhood cancer.

I'm sorry I'm rambling so much today. Can you tell Sicily is napping and I am tired of sitting and thinking these thoughts to myself? ; ) I truly am doing good and have a lot of stuff going on.

I will be taking part in a radio broadcast (pre-taped, thankfully) that will be affiliated with the Children's Miracle Network. This hospital is the recipient to all donations and funds raised through the network in our area and they will host a radio-thon in late June. I will be one of the parents interviewed about our experiences here and our life situation. Again, I'm excited to be a part of anything that can bring awareness to our cause. I'm not comfortable in the spot light, but all I have to do is look into by daughter's big brown eyes and I will do whatever it takes! Plus, I truly love this hospital and can go on the record honestly and say it has been a very comforting place for us to be!

Okay, I've rambled enough for today. Enjoy the weekend and enjoy the little things of life around you! I will close with one of my new favorite quotes, "Whether we win or lose, give God the glory!" Esther Joy Travis

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!