View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #228
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thursday, April 2, 2009 9:58 PM, CDT

Hello,

It's been a good day for us. Sicily didn't get her chemo started until around 6:00 just because we had to wait for her urine to become concentrated enough. When we first got to our room, we went to check to see if Esther was in her room, but she wasn't. Her hospital room was adorned with pictures, stuffed ponies and butterflies made of coffee filters dyed with markers and water hung by paper clips and strings from the ceiling. We stood and looked at it in awe for awhile. I could feel the knot in my chest tighten as I did not think we would get to see this precious little Christian soldier again!

Sicily and I continued on our walk and returned to our room. Not too long later, we saw Esther get wheeled towards her room, and her mom stopped in to chat with us for a bit. Sicily and I were finishing up our lunch and then decided that Esther's room was missing something. So she and I went downstairs to the gift shop and bought a huge butterfly balloon. It was a sweet sight to see Sicily with her mouth and nose covered in a protective little surgical mask carrying this gigantic balloon back through the lobby of the hospital to the elevator and onto its final destination...her friend, Esther. We went to her room and she handed it to Esther without saying a single word, but Esther politely and sweetly thanked her. Three of Esther's four younger siblings were there in the room with her (they have five beautiful children under the age of six) and one of her younger brothers decided that the big butterfly balloon could be the mommy to all the other little butterflies flying around the room! I agreed with him that that was a good idea!

Esther's mom gave Sicily and I some extra coffee filters and explained how they had made them, so once we returned to our room, we made some butterflies of our own, as well. I was too chicken to stand on the bed or chair in an attempt to hang them from the ceiling, so we just taped them on the walls and door.

Esther is still in a lot of pain, and it's still a very agonizing waiting game to see if they will be able to get her into the trial that is just about their last hope. But "Hope" is one thing this family exemplifies more than any other person or being I have ever been around with in my life. I want to be near them as it's a contagious feeling. They won't give up, and neither will little Esther. Before we settled in for the night, we got to take a walk once around the third floor together with Esther and her mom. I feel like I can honestly say I walked with an Angel of God this evening. I have tears rolling down my cheeks as I type this as I'm feeling very emotional and overwhelmed with just the experience of being around her again, even for just a short while. I have never been around a child with such strong faith and acceptance for her life's circumstances. She is beyond words that can explain...for once I'm almost speechless! I was able to snap a quick photo of these two beautiful brave little souls. And I also told Esther's mom that if she was feeling okay Friday evening, that I would like to bring Elias down to meet her when Patrick comes. I explained how emotional he became over learning about her and that it would mean a great deal for him to meet her in person. So I pray she will be up for that!

Sicily took a marathon nap today of over three hours. Our priest, Father Joe, came and visited with us for awhile (as she snoozed) and I really enjoyed his company! Again, I'm really feeling full of emotion and should probably get some sleep as I will need to be up a few times with Sicily during the night. But I just needed to jump on here while the thoughts were freely flowing or I would never be able to get to sleep. I'll update more tomorrow. Sicily is asleep now so I'd better join her. The power of prayer is an amazing thing...I know because I walked with a living answer around a Children's Hospital this evening! God Bless you all!

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!