Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2009, 05:02 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? for Prismacolor Pencil Fans

With the Copics craze going on and knowing these are really out of my price range, I tried out Prismacolor pencils and baby oil last night and I'm in love! This was so easy and it brought back a lot of my old tole painting skills. I started with the set of 36 pencils but I'm quite sure, I will want to add to my new collection. Question......can you recommend any on-line sites that sell the pencils individually and can you recommend any flesh color combos to get?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I love using the Prisma pencils as well. I bought the 120 set on eBay so I didn't have to get them individually, but I know that Dick Blick sells them individually as well as in sets. Sorry I don't have a link. The colors that I use for skin is PC927 Light Peach and PC939 Peach, I use the Peach for shadow areas and Light peach for the rest. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 05:37 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Dick Blick Art is my fav to buy single pencils

http://www.dickblick.com/?wmcp=yahoo...wmckw=Homepage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 05:39 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Here are the Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencil sets at Dick Blick: http://www.dickblick.com/products/pr...d-pencil-sets/

I know that Michaels carries them as open stock also.

This place sells online but I have never ordered from them: http://www.hyatts.com/art/prismacolor-pencils-1.4809

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Glad to hear that you liked the pencils! I'm going to a class for using these in April. I too am resisting the copics. Seems like big investment if I don't use them like I should.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

I agree! Copics are too expensive; that is why I bought a set of 120 Prismacolor pencils. I can afford more colors in the pencils than I could with the Copics; which is good since I have severe OCD! LOL!

I love coloring with the baby oil too! I have taught 3 classes at my LSS about this technique and everyone loves it. I feel that I am getting the same results from shading with my pencils as I would with the Copic markers.

I agree with the others, Dick Blick is the best place to buy Prismacolor pencils as sets or individually. Also, you may want to invest the $1 or $2 and buy a colorless blender pencil. I use it on smaller images, like Bellas, instead of using the blending stumps and baby oil. It works pretty good although you can see a difference. But it's easier to keep the pencils tip sharper than the blending stump tip.

Happy coloring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Another lover of the pencils although I use the Odorless Mineral Spirits - I personally cannot handle the smell of the baby oil. I do like using markers on occassion but pencils are still hands one of my favorite pencils for skin tone (caucasian) is light peach and peach.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

And BTW I also buy from Dick Blick when I have a bunch to buy but otherwise I have a local art store that has all of them and sells them individually but they are more expensive than Dick Blick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the JoAnn ad for Mar 29 - Apr 11. They have their fine art drawing supplies on sale for 25% off. (Prismacolor is included) Don't know what set they have but they do sell individual pencils so those of you who would like to expand your sets or collections might be able to find the ones you want during this sale. The online promotion code is DEC101.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Ladies....While AC Moore, Michaels and JoAnns (larger stores, not the old ones) does carry single Prisma pencils, they by no means carry all of them.
Though they are a good place to check before going on-line and paying shipping.

I've gone through DickBlick also for some things. I am not a fan of the Copics....too expensive and you can achieve the same result with the Prismas.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaSunshineView Post
With the Copics craze going on and knowing these are really out of my price range, I tried out Prismacolor pencils and baby oil last night and I'm in love! This was so easy and it brought back a lot of my old tole painting skills. I started with the set of 36 pencils but I'm quite sure, I will want to add to my new collection. Question......can you recommend any on-line sites that sell the pencils individually and can you recommend any flesh color combos to get?
I adore my pencils. I know I probably work harder to get my results than some with a full collection of copics, but I don't care. They so simple and easy to use and...well...cheap! I can't help much with where to buy singles, I bought mine as a full 120 piece set. While you're checking the sites the others have recommended, you might tally up the cost of those individuals versus getting a great deal on a whole big set. I know you've got the 36 already, but perhaps you could pass them on to someone else? It might be more cost effective for you.

Now, for peach tones, that I may be able to help you with. Here's a shot of my [URL="http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k61/just_vee/cards/prisma-chart.jpg"]>>prismacolor chart>blog post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I know that Ultrecht.com has their open stock of Prisma Pencils on sale right now for $.89 each. I completed my collection with them. Should be here tomorrow. First time I've ordered from them, so until I get my hands on them, I can't vouch for the quality, but their service is fantastic, up to this point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

My Aaron Brothers carries open stock pencils as well...and occasionally has them on sale. I too love Prismapencils and OMS...my go-to coloring technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Oh I am a Dick Blick fan as well...you might also want to check into the Lyra colored pencils...they are marvelous...even easier to blend than Prisma...I have both and am so glad that I have both...as you knwo I absolutely NEED all of those colors!!

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I love my Prismacolors! I use them all the time, they're so forgiving! They are incomparable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I loooooove prismas ad baby oil together!! i haven't tried gamsol yet. i started off with a huge set of prismas and have not had to add on yet. i find that i can achieve any color i want by blending colors or by applying lighter or darker layers and then washing over them with baby oil to smooth things out.

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

got mine at michaels. 50% coupon on the 120.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Could I recommend something other than Prismas for skin tones? The pack of Lyra Skin Tone pencils - they're exactly the same kind of pencil (you can blend with OMS or baby oil) but I've found them much better than the Prismas for skin colours and also really useful for colouring things like bunnies/bears etc and also tree trunks and adding shadows to just about anything! I used to use the Light Peach Prismacolor for Caucasian skin tone but I always found it just a bit too peachy. Somebody here recommended the Lyras and I reach for them often now!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaSunshineView Post

Thanks!
Years ago, Rubber Stamp Madness magazine had an article that gave a list of Multi-cultural colors using Prismacolor pencils. I still have that list. Here it is and I hope this helps:

Light peach #927 and Pink rose #1018
Jasmine #1012
Burnt Ochre #943
Terra Cotta #944
Dark Brown #946
Sepia #948
Magenta #930
Black #935

Now obviously you would not use just one color for any skin tone. It will take a combination of colors to achieve a realistic skin tone. The above colors are the basics where you would start and experiment. I've seen artists add colors like blue, green, etc. into the shadows depending on reflections and all. But, I'm not an artist so I can't give you a formula for how to put them together.

I have a book - *Portraits in Colored Pencil from Photographs* by Lee Hammond. While I don't draw portraits, I love the book because Lee uses Prismacolor, Verithin (harder, thinner version of Prismacolor), and Col-erase pencils and she lists the colors and pencils that she uses. It's my go to reference.

I hope I've helped in some small way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=just_v;13560654]Now, for peach tones, that I may be able to help you with. Here's a shot of my [URL="http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k61/just_vee/cards/prisma-chart.jpg"]>>prismacolor chart
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=just_v;13560654]I adore my pencils. I know I probably work harder to get my results than some with a full collection of copics, but I don't care. They so simple and easy to use and...well...cheap! I can't help much with where to buy singles, I bought mine as a full 120 piece set. While you're checking the sites the others have recommended, you might tally up the cost of those individuals versus getting a great deal on a whole big set. I know you've got the 36 already, but perhaps you could pass them on to someone else? It might be more cost effective for you.

Now, for peach tones, that I may be able to help you with. Here's a shot of my [URL="http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k61/just_vee/cards/prisma-chart.jpg"]>>prismacolor chart>blog post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Unless you have other things to add, Dick Blick has high shipping!

Check here and see if you don't do better...

http://www.carpediemstore.com/mlistC...midCategory=72

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a questions about Prismacolor pencils. I went to purchase an set and there are several different types (i.e. watercolor). Which type are you guys using with baby oil and OMS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper KissyView Post
You wouldn't be able to upload your chart to share here would you? I bet a lot of people would love it

Erin
Hmmmmm....good question, Erin. I'll have to see. Right now it's an excel file. I'll poke at it and see.

nu stamper - you don't want watercolor pencils, they won't work with the technique. I use Primsacolor Premier pencils. They have a thick soft core that is excellent for coloring and blending.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by just_vView Post
Hmmmmm....good question, Erin. I'll have to see. Right now it's an excel file. I'll poke at it and see.

nu stamper - you don't want watercolor pencils, they won't work with the technique. I use Primsacolor Premier pencils. They have a thick soft core that is excellent for coloring and blending.

V
You should be able to upload an excel file here...there's lots of them in the downloads forum. I hope you can, I like how your chart is done by color family If not, no biggie though.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu stamperView Post
I have a questions about Prismacolor pencils. I went to purchase an set and there are several different types (i.e. watercolor). Which type are you guys using with baby oil and OMS
Pam

You should purchase the regular pencils, NOT watercolor if you are using OMS or baby oil. Watercolor pencils are made strictly for water. If you are interested you can view a video on Gina K's new StampTV.com site. She begins by discussing the tools you would need and shows you how to color and use OMS. You could just replace OMS with baby oil. I personally don't care for baby oil. I bought some and tried it. The oil spread on my paper and did not evaporate. I like OMS because you can saturate the paper with it and it will dry without evidence of the OMS. I bought mine at ACMoore for I think $5 or $6; and it is a huge bottle that will probably last me forever.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu stamperView Post
The ones that are the best for the OMS technique are "Premier". Watercolor do what the name suggests (so you'd use them with water) and you might also see Scholar and Verithin. Scholar are not as highly pigmented and don't spread as well and the Verithin are intended for detail work and have much, much harder leads (so again, don't spread as well).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 03:34 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

dick blick for sure! i have been doing art work with colored pencils long before discovering papercrafts and have always got my pencils and anything else at dickblick. the lee hammond portrait book - excellent reference book BTW. i have it as well.

maybe i should use my pencils more often..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 04:08 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

I love my Prismas. The instructor at a class I attended at a LSS used Goo-Gone. Does baby oil or OMS give better results? Or are results more dependent on the quality of cardstock? AngeliNorth, thanks for the tip on the Lyra Skin Tone pencils; I had have been wondering about them. I'll have to add them to my wish list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Question

What are you very talented people using with your Prismacolors to blend? Are you using the "Stumps"? If you are, what brand should I purchase? Also what sizes are the best to have on hand?

Do you use regular cardstock or watercolor paper?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. Inquiring minds need to know this stuff to be able to get better at what we do.

Have yourselves a wonderful stamping day!

Trish in Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriboHeartsView Post
What are you very talented people using with your Prismacolors to blend? Are you using the "Stumps"? If you are, what brand should I purchase? Also what sizes are the best to have on hand?

Do you use regular cardstock or watercolor paper?
Hi Trish;

I'm using stumps and baby oil, mostly because I had it on hand and there's a preschooler and toddler running loose in my house. I'm very happy with my results. Personally, I don't think brand of stumps matters as much as the quality of cardstock you're using. I seriously love Gina K's Pure Luxury Base Weight cardstock for all of my coloring and blending. The color seems to just float on it when I'm blending. I've used the Georgia Pacific from Wal-mart, but I had to "scrub" more at the color to get the results I wanted.

Stumps are made in Taiwan and China. I checked and mine are made in Taiwan. I'm told those are the best, but I have no point of reference to judge. I have probably 10 or so. I bought a variety pack first that had a selection of stumps and the smaller tortillions. I figured out which sizes I liked best from that (2, 4 and 5) and bought more in those sizes.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I have never heard of this technique. Could someone post a tutorial to it? It sounds very intriguing.

Thanks,

Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 06:17 AM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Maria, here is the technique
Gamsol Magic Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

In future, if you need to find it, click on Resources and look for Gamsol Magic. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

I, too, just tried out a 12-pack of prismas and love 'em! I did see at Hobby Lobby they have another 12 pack that is labeled "portrait" that seems to be just for skin tones. I think this may also be the extra 12 pencils you get in the 132 pack (but I'm not sure, just going by what wikipedia said).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

(where did the edit button go to?)

I just checked the prismacolor website, and (a) the portrait pack is 24 pencils (which are all in the 120 box) and (b) the extra 12 in the 132 are I guess just some new colors--mostly greens and blues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a chart I found on SCS:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I recently purchased a 120 pencil set from Michael's (had a 50% off coupon and a $50 GC)!!! Really enjoying playing with them with OMS and stump!!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I use the Goo Gone Mess Free pen - works great. But if someone has a suggestion for a tool to use with OMS, I would really appreciate it. I cannot stand the feel of the blending stumps in my hand. Worse than fingernails across a blackboard. Any help out there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for the link.....can't wait to try it. Have to go buy a stump.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

I use Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol. I have about 75 pencils, but NEED to add more! I have bought my individual ones from Dick BLick. But for shipping purposes, I guess I will have to shop around!!
I have the 24 set of the Markers, but I'm not that good with markers yet. I do want to try those Lyra flesh colored pencils! There are just TOO many possibilities!! I bought some woodless pencils from GINA K, but haven't even tried them yet!! Too many choices, and not enough time!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I use the Goo Gone Mess Free pen - works great. But if someone has a suggestion for a tool to use with OMS, I would really appreciate it. I cannot stand the feel of the blending stumps in my hand. Worse than fingernails across a blackboard. Any help out there?

check out www.heartprints.com for Sue's great tutorials on gamasol/prisma. She many times uses Q-tips...
Reply With Quote Likes