Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-28-2004, 10:43 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Location: This must be heaven...there are stamps & scrapbooks EVERYWHERE!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have ideas for an ADVENT CALENDAR?

Saw a great one at Hallmark...but was $40. All the creative juices flowing here...someone must have made a Christmas countdown calendar before.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 10:48 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

If you have access to the DDD gallery Melmel has an example in there. I can't remember which one it's in. It had tags with numbers on them and under the tag was a picture of a toy or something holiday related. She did it in a Christmas tree format.

If you don't get to make one this year, make sure to go out after Christmas and buy one for 1/2 price...that's what I usually do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 11:02 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I am still figuring my way through the many aspects of this website. I am a SU Demo and signed up as such...but spend most of my time in general discussion or the gallery. How do I find the DDD Gallery and this calendar made by melmel? I guess i am "technically challenged"!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 03:31 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I recently saw an "altered book" that was made into an advent calendar, it was beautiful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Actually

Actually I saw one on the Carol Duvall show a few weeks ago - it was a Bottle Cap Advent calendar - let me see if the link will work - on HGTV I think it was named as such.

He essentially used the plastic bottle caps you get from the tops of soda bottles and glued them to a sheet of posterboad, and made little round circles for gluing to the tops - you can fit little toys inside. Can be refilled each year. I think could be fun to make with the kids as well, I thought it was kind of cute and very resourceful!

Since I am one stamper who saves EVERYTHING that was one show I just laughed at, since apparently that was one thing I haven't managed to save - the bottles, yes, and now the bottlecaps have a purpose!

Okay I didn't save the link, but it was on the HGTV site under Carol Duvall show, and it was

Bottle Cap Advent Calendar - here are the info parts that I did save (if you want pictures you will have to go to the site)

Bottle Cap Advent Calendar
Materials:
2 sheets 8-1/2" x 11" green card stock
8-1/2" x 11" red card stock
24 plastic caps from individual-size water bottles
recycled Christmas cards or wrapping paper
white glue
1/4" double-sided tape
1" and 1-1/2" round hole punch
regular hand-grip hole punch
scissors
paper cutter
ribbon or raffia
24 charms, trinkets, coins, wrapped candy, etc., for prizes
Steps
1. From one 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of green card stock, punch out 24 circles using the 1-1/2-inch round hole punch. From the same sheet, punch out 26 circles using the 1-inch round hole punch.
2. From the recycled Christmas cards, punch out 24 circles using the 1-inch round hole punch. Note: Punch areas on many different cards that have some similarity such as color or design elements that will look good together (figure A).
3. Using a paper cutter, trim the 8-1/2" x 11" red card stock to measure 8" x 10-1/2." Glue the red card stock to the center of the remaining green sheet of card stock (figure B).
4. Using white glue, attach a 1-inch circle punched from the recycled Christmas cards to a 1-1/2-inch green circle. Be sure to center it (figure C). Repeat until all 24 of the 1-1/2-inch circles are decorated.
5. On the reverse side of the decorated 1-1/2-inch circle, glue a 1-inch green circle. Be sure to center it. Repeat until all 24 of the 1-inch circles have been glued into place. Note: This circle is your glue guide (figure D). Note: We used white circles on the show because they show up better than green.
6. Fill each of the 24 bottle caps with a prize (figure E).
7. Apply some white glue to the reverse side of the decorated circle. Glue around the smaller circle you put in
place earlier.
8. Place the decorated circle over the filled bottle cap, making sure it is centered. Press gently to seal (figure F). Note: If adjusting the position, you will feel the smaller circle inside the cap. This will let you know the decorated circle is centered. Repeat until all the caps have been filled and sealed.
9. Position all the sealed caps picture side up together so that you may place a heavy book on top of them to facilitate the sealing process. Leave book in place for at least a half hour.
10. Take the book off the caps and turn them all over. Cut small pieces of the super tape and apply to the reverse of each cap. Peel away the plastic liner from the tape (figure G).
11. Beginning at the top center of the green bordered red card stock, place one decorated cap picture side up. Press gently to seal. This is the top of your Christmas tree shape.
12. Begin a second row using two decorated caps. Try to align the decorated caps with very little space between them. Place and press three caps in the next row down. In the forth row, place and press four caps. Place and press five caps in the next row down.
13. In the sixth and final row of the tree, place and press six decorated caps (figure H). Skip the next row and place the remaining three decorated caps at the bottom center of the red card stock.
14. Glue two of the 1-inch green circles to the top left-hand corner and top right-hand corner of the red card stock.
15. Punch holes through the center of each of the corner circles using the regular hole punch.
16. Thread ribbon or raffia through the holes at the top of the calendar (figure I) and hang on a wall or on the refrigerator.
17. Begin opening the decorated caps from the bottom, saving the top of the tree for Christmas Eve.

RESOURCES:
Don't Throw That Away
by Michael Strong
Michael Strong Rubber Stamps
La Mesa, CA
Phone: 619-660-8292
E-mail: [email protected]

GUESTS:
Michael Strong
Art instructor, owner Michael Strong Rubber Stamps
Michael Strong Rubber Stamps
La Mesa, CA
Phone: 619-660-8292
E-mail: [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 04:44 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I decided to do a little twist this year on the advent calendar.
I am making a small sour cream popper (I think that's what they are called) for every day leading up to Christmas and will fill each one with a little something (candy, small toy, poem, picture). On the tag, I'll stamp the date and then hang them on the tree.
My son will have so much find finding his "treasure" each day and it'll help him learn his numbers too.
~janice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 04:53 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

When my Girl Scouts were in Kindergarten, we made a simple one. We used a paper plate, and glued a religious picture that they colored (something like a manger scene, I think.) Then we made a small paper chains to attached to the plate with a staple. Every day, they broke off one of the chain links as they counted down to xmas.

I really like the mini sour cream container idea. I think I will try it with my two children.

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2004, 04:35 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I made sour cream containers a few years ago to use as an "advent calendar". I made them out of vellum, and embossed night of navy snowflakes on them. I also used one of my number sets and embossed the date in night of navy on the container. I put small candies inside of it, tied it off with a navy ribbon, and put them all on the tree. My kids loved 'em!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2004, 05:07 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have seen several kinds of easy ones, the santa that you add a cotton ball each day until christmas to his beard, the strip of felt that you subtract candy canes from each day. Every year we do an advent activity exchange (like a card or cookie exchange) so we get 25 activities back and one of them they had paper strips with age appropriate activities to do on each strip and then you can add or subtract to your paper chain as needed.
We also have one with these instructions:
Advent calendar wall hanging:
Materials book pocket, 3 1/2 feet ribbon, wrapping paper scrap, bow, 25 buisness size cards. Our children are our greatest gifts. Here is a way to celebrate your child as your family counts their way to christmas. Before assembling the wall hanging, fill out the 25 advent counting cards with short sentiments for your child. These cards will be placed one a day on the wall hanging. Make a variety of cards. Some may be simple or silly. Others may be serious. Use a few words to capture a memory from years past. Tell why you love your child. Perhaps a card or two could contain a special family event. Don't be intimidated! Cards can be simple..."green eyes and crazy curls"..."your amazing laughter"..."I love your drawings!" Finally, on Christmas Day, let the card be a gift of invitiaton of time. "This card is worth one lunch or cozy book time...hot chocolate outing...trip to the community center"
Assembling the wall hanging: 1) cover the front of the paper pocket with wrapping paper. Wrap extra to stick to the back of the pocket. 2) place a bow on the front of the pocket. 3) stick or glue red (or whatever color you use we had 1 inch red velvet type)ribbon end t back of pocket. 4) separate and fill out sheets of white cards. Cards may be kept in the pocket. 5) hang the calendar conveniently. 6) Tape one card per day to the ribbon.

SO ..... That hopefully should get you some ideas, the felt christmas trees with ornaments and velcro tape are always fun. You can always google!

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2004, 05:47 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

What great ideas ladies...thank you sooooooooooooooooo much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2005, 09:16 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up Advent cookie sheet calendar!!!

Have you seen these? What a terrificly cool idea!!! I've seen several of them on 2peas! Here's an example:

:cool:

.:Cris:.

PS I like finding old threads. *tee hee*

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2005, 06:54 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampoholicsunanimous
I am still figuring my way through the many aspects of this website. I am a SU Demo and signed up as such...but spend most of my time in general discussion or the gallery. How do I find the DDD Gallery and this calendar made by melmel? I guess i am "technically challenged"!!!
If you will click on the link below in my signature line, it will lead you to info about the DDD Gallery! ;)

Oh, DDD= Dirty Dozen Designers, which is synonymous with the Splitcoast Fan Club Gallery. People just started calling it the DD or the DDD in reference to the designers that create the artwork for this gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2005, 09:02 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

There was a sweet Santa advent calendar in the most recent issue of
"Paper Made Easy" That magazine always has such original interesting projects in it, I wish they had it out more often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Pinefeather has a cute tag advent calendar in DD as well. If you don't have access to DD then just go to member gallery and click on Pinefeather. She has three pictures. To darn cute.

Andi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #15  
The Digi-Freak

I bought one this year from http://www.cbd.com I got the fabric one because that's what i'd been looking for.

Target has a Dora one, but GAG!!! Dora on my Christmas stuff, you've GOT to be kidding me!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Here's one that I made:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers