View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #2266
JanTInk
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi all!

Just jumping in with an update on what is going on with us. Both DH and I have been fighting infections, his usual bronchial stuff and mine were double ear infections. Hopefully they are done, but I'm not sure my ear infections are totally gone, since I still have some twinges in my ears and am getting tired easily again. I had two courses of antibiotics and hoping I'm done!

I took my kids to see the Winter Jam '09 tour at Eastern Michigan University Saturday night, which was really AWESOME! There were thousands of people there to see it and there was not only great music, but some wonderful preaching of the Word. My kids had the best time! DS was a bit bored at times, but by the time tobyMac played, he was just as into as the other two were!

How we got there is an interesting story. I get emails from iTickets, which is like TicketMaster except for Christian events. I saw this Winter Jam '09 on their website while I was getting some free downloads and checked it out. The cost was $10 per person and then there would be the gas and the food we would eat while we were there. I thought I'd love to take my kids, but it wasn't in the budget, but it still kept coming to mind all day. So I told God, "Lord, if you want me to take my kids to this, you will have to come up with around $100 for me to do it!"

Later that day, I got a call from a family who is related to one of our parishioners at church. I have done two funerals for their family and they decided to call me to do yet another one for the same Saturday. It's an honor to know that they would rather have me come than a priest. But the amazing thing is this: they always pay me $100 when I conduct a funeral for them.

Obviously, I knew what the money was supposed to be used for. And when my oldest DD told me that she felt closer to the "Big Guy Upstairs" than ever after going to the concert, I knew that it was totally God arranging for us to go.

I got so wore out, though, what with waiting in a HUGE line to get in, then having to sit way up high because it was packed and that was the best we could do and having to go up and down those stairs with the food I bought and taking DS to the rest room, then jumping up and down like a maniac and dancing and clapping with my kids (it was so fun!) and the loud music, that after I got home from church the next day, I was so tired I spent a good part of the day sleeping.

Now for my sad news: one of my cousins was killed in a car accident on Saturday night. She was only 44 years old and they don't know why, but her car crossed the center line and struck another car head on. She was the oldest child in my aunt and uncle's family, but her only other sibling, their son, died of a drug overdose several years ago, so they have now lost both of their children. I can't imagine how much they must be hurting right now. They do have one grandchild and (I think) great-grandchildren, but it still can't be easy to have both your children predecease you. Please pray for them, their names are Philip and Lucretia and her name was Liz.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!