View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
heartwig
Insane Embellisher

Default Canadians: Can you Send a Card to the Families of our Fallen Soldiers?

Does your heart ache every time you watch the news and hear of another one of our Canadian military sacrificing his or her life while serving in another country?

Mine does, and my husband came up with a great idea! I collect blank cards to send to our military so that they can send a card home to their families. This is NOT that project. This is something where we as SCSers can make and send a signed card of condolence to the family members of the soldiers, thanking them for their commitment to our country and to let them know we are thinking of them in their time of loss.

My connection at the Edmonton Garrison gave me this information:

"I think that is a very thoughtful idea, families really appreciate knowing people care.

If you go onto this website: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/f.../index-eng.asp it has a list of all of the fallen soldiers and the unit they are from and for most of them it contains the location of the unit (e.g. Petawawa) and then you can forward the cards to the Military Family Resource Center on that base and they will forward them on (I don't know all of the postal codes for each unit, so the MFRC's can send it through inter-base mail). We have received some cards from the public and we were able to pass them on to the unit to give to the family or we were able to pass it on to the family."

So here you go, for those that would be interested in sending out a personalized card.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!