View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #196
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11, 2009 08:55 AM, CDT

Good Morning,

Sicily is doing good. She doesn't understand why she can't go outside and play now. The weather was so nice over the weekend. Old man winter can't let go of his grip on us yet and blew in a cold front yesterday evening. We're sitting at thirty degrees after enjoying temps in the seventies. Our trees are sprouting green and spring is just around the corner, yet we're bundled up in blankets and robes. Soon, I suppose...another lesson in patience.

I'm starting to push my blues away. When they hit, they hit hard. But the heaviness in my heart is starting to lighten a bit and so is my outlook. Tomorrow starts another inpatient treatment and hopefully Sicily will sail through it as she has done in the past. I'm planning on having her drink a lot of fluid before we even head to the clinic for our 8:00 am appointment so when she is admitted she may well be on her way to being hydrated enough to start chemo.

Last time we started around 2:00, I think, and that helped as she was able to leave the hospital on the evening of the fifth day instead of the morning of the sixth. Of course, so much goes into how smoothly things play out. If she happens to need a transfusion, our stay might run a different course. Her lips this morning don't have much color to them, so that concerns me a bit. She's also curled up in a chair in the living room completely covered from head to toe in a blanket apparently trying to fall back to sleep. But she didn't go to sleep very early last night and was up around 6:45 this morning. Just from recent experience, I know her numbers can fluctuate rather quickly, so she could be getting low again. I'm just praying her numbers will be high enough for her to start the chemo treatments for the next few days.

Patrick has a busines trip next week and family will be coming to visit us while he's away. I think part of my blues this week stem from that. We were supposed to get to travel with him to Colorado as the older kids would be on spring break (and we were hoping to make a run up to Fort Collins to visit a very special cousin), but with a child on chemo, it's not a smart or realistic thing to do. If Sicily were to get sick or even run a fever, we might end up in an unfamiliar hospital in an unfamiliar area with uncertain scenarios. It's safest just to stay home.

I know the kids were looking forward to a little get away, as was I, but hopefully we'll be able to do that in the summer. The next best thing is to have family come to visit so they are pumped about that! Me too! Just wish my house was in decent order, but I know they don't care about that! Some day, some day!

Well, I need to do a little packing for the hospital. And check to see that Sicily has enough breathing room under her blanket...I hate it when she covers up her head! Please continue to pray for all the children battling cancer and for their families, as well, and for the families who've recently lost their child to this disease! Everyone have a good Wednesday! Thanks for all the support!

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!