View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #178
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2009 06:56 PM, CST

Evening,

Sicily is doing good...cruising right along with her treatments. Patrick and I know it's not too common for a child to do as well as she has with this and we are thankful every day! The oncologist on call at the hospital this weekend told Patrick this morning that Sicily has been pretty lucky to do this good. She hasn't had any fevers or other sicknesses that would or could detour and prolong her therapy. Either could also require more inpatient hospital stays. A tough thing to endure!

We are very aware that the further into this protocol she goes, the more chances for fevers or other complications are to occur as the toxicity level increases. But we are still amazed we've made it this far! We still hadn't heard anything about the chest x-ray yet, so Patrick asked the nurse today and she was able to look it up and found out that it appears clear. YEAH! That is truly wonderful news right now!

Today was a very special day. We got to meet our cancer buddy, Peyton, and her mom and grandma. I think this was about the sweetest thing I could ever imagine. Peyton is a friend of Sicily's cousin, Jaden, and she really wanted to visit Sicily in the hospital, so they drove the almost two hours to Tulsa from OKC to do so. I felt like I already knew her mom, partly because she is a friend of my sister's, but mainly because she is someone who has walked in my shoes and felt my emotions, frustrations, sorrows and heartaches. She is a mom of a child with cancer and I can look in her eyes and see understanding and empathy. She can truly say, "I know how you feel!" That's a very strong connection for me! And Sicily bonded very quickly with Peyton.

When they were leaving, she asked if she could hold Peyton's hand as we walked them down the hall. I think they will be good buddies for a very long time! Like I said, it was the sweetest thing and a good dose of compassion medicine! Thank you guys so much!

Other good news is that Sicily and Patrick may get to leave the hospital by Monday evening if everything still goes as well as it has been! One less night in the hospital is, well, one less night in the hospital! ; ) We got to start her chemo earlier than usual on Thursday and then it continues to get bumped up two hours every day there after. It would be nice if it worked that way every time with the early start, but we never know how things are going to go. It's been a good life lesson in patience and flexibility.

Again, thank you all for the prayers...I wish you could all see for yourselves how they are working. Someday! For now, I will do my best to keep updating and reporting the results and answers to those prayers! Thanks be to God!

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!