View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #172
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2009 03:49 PM, CST

Good Monday afternoon,

I guess you can tell that if you haven't received a journal update from me in awhile, then things are going well. They are indeed. Sicily is still full of spunk and energy. She's happy and healthy, for the most part. She enjoyed very much getting to go to her preschool for the Valentine's party. Everyone was so sweet and we feel so blessed to be a part of such a wonderful church family! It was so cute, none of the kids stared at Sicily or made any comments about her lack of hair, but one sweet little guy asked, "Why doesn't she talk?" I explained that she can be shy from time to time, but will talk non-stop at home. I think he was satisfied with that answer, but would have probably liked to have had a small conversation with Sicily. I hope someday she grows out of her shyness.

The older three kids were able to go and visit family and friends in Wellington over the weekend. All reported having a great time. Patrick and I stayed home with Sicily and can't say we were able to get anything productive done around the house. She goes from sun up to sun down with little slowing. Her level of physical activity still amazes us. We know everyday she feels good is still an absolute blessing! We had a quite Valentine's day...burned a fire all day (thanks to all the wood from Uncle Bob and Aunt Clydene) and just enjoyed being home together as Patrick just got home from being in California part of the week.

Sicily and I had a nice visit from my Uncle Richard and Aunt Cynthia yesterday afternoon as they were traveling from Missouri back to Texas. I'm glad they were able to stop by and see how Sicily is really doing. Seeing is believing!

Tomorrow is a big day as Sicily will have a CT scan in OKC. Basically, they will just be checking to see that nothing NEW has shown up and that her chemo is doing it's job. For some reason, I'm not feeling any "scanxiety"...the anxiety that is usually felt by parents before a scan. It's not like there is anything I can do about any of this, and we are doing what we can, so it's all in God's hands. Yes, I am praying for NED (No Evident Disease)...eveyone wants to have NED in their lives! He's a popular guy! ; ) If that is not to be the case, we will do whatever else needs to be done! I refuse to let this situation rob us of the joys and purposes we have in our lives.

I was sent an article via email from some dear old friends that really spoke to me (thank you Johnie and Patti)! It was an interview with Rick Warren, author of "Purpose Driven Life." So much of it hit a chord and made so much sense that I'd like to share a few of his thoughts (I've taken the liberty to paraphrase as to not type the whole article).

He said, "We were made by God and for God, and until you figure that out, life isn't going to make sense. Life is a series of problems: Either you are in one now, you're just coming out of one, or you're getting ready to go into another one. The reason for this is that God is more interested in your character than your comfort; God is more interested in making your life holy than He is in making your life happy....And no matter how bad things are in you life, there is always something good you can thank God for...You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems!"

"Happy moments, PRAISE GOD.
Difficult moments, SEEK GOD.
Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD."

I couldn't have said it better myself. I guess that is why I am so calm right now and not needlessly fretting about tomorrow. It's my nature to be a worrywort, but God has removed that from my life for the time being. It feels good, I have to say. I pray that it continues on through tomorrow. It makes day to day life a lot easier and more enjoyable to live!

I'll report when we hear how her scans look. We also have an appointment with the radiologist, just as a follow-up to her radiation treatments! God bless you all and thank you for all the prayers and support!

Love,
Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!