View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #168
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2009 07:07 PM, CST

Good evening,

We're all doing good. Hasn't been too much to report, which is a good thing. We luckily missed out on the severest part of the storms that wrecked havoc on Oklahoma last night. I pray for the families affected. It's a little early to be experiencing this type of weather, but it can actually happen at anytime, so we just stay aware!

I had to run to my dentist's office this morning and took Sicily along since she's doing good. We stopped by a grocery store on our way home, one that I don't usually shop at as it's farther away, but it was on our way home. Sicily doesn't get out and about much these days and it's still interesting to see how people react to her and her appearance. I left that store with a smile on my face because the older lady who checked us out gave me the reaction I'd been praying for. We still get lots of looks and quite a bit of ignores, but this sweet lady looked at Sicily and then at me, and as if the situation needn't be explained...the bald head was enough...she just simple asked, "How is she doing?"

In my mind, that is what I've hoped someone would ask. She wasn't asking for long details or an elaborate diagnosis, she just asked in a concerned way and didn't cast pity on us. When I reported that Sicily is doing well, she then responded with, "Well, she looks really good!" That could've been her bright eyes or her sweet rosy mouth, or the fact that she was from head to toe in hot pink and leopard print, none the less, I felt appreciative of this strangers compassion. It was just the right dose. I've often thought to myself, "What would I say if I encountered someone in my shoes?" I'm afraid and embarrassed to admit that I'd most likely be the "ignoring" kind as I'm too worried about offending or upsetting someone. But I penciled in my mind what would be the perfect "stranger inquiry," and it would be just what the checker at the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market asked me today..."How is she doing?" Love her!

Anyway, just another simple thought from my simple mind that I wanted to share...just in case you ever encounter a precious little child of obvious circumstances and you're wondering what or if you should say anything. Everyone's circumstances are different. Some may not welcome the conversation, but my philosophy is, "the more who know, the better!" That is the only way we can hope to find a cure for this terrible disease that has attacked our children. By-the-way, the pity stares don't bother me. I still catch myself handing them out to others as well, from time to time. It just means that you have a heart, and the site before you is a painful one.

Sicily has a dose of Vincristine tomorrow at 10:30. Aunt Betty Kay is visiting us so she gets to come and see how brave Sicily is. Then, if her numbers are okay, we'll attend her preschool class Valentine's party at church. We may not stay long, but just getting to go will be a highlight for her. We've got her Hello Kitty Valentines ready! ; ) Everyone have a great evening.

Love you all!

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!