View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #113
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

TUESDAY, JANUARY 06, 2009 08:33 PM, CST

Good Evening,

Sicily is doing great...she loves the extra attention she gets from extended family. She was lucky to get to see her aunt Christy, uncle Doug and cousins McKinsey and Kelsey as they were playing/coaching basketball games locally.

We had a nice visit at the oncology clinic and a good appointment with Dr. Meyer. I love the ladies who work in the craft room...they are beyond wonderful! Sicily is usually very quiet, shy and reserved in public (nothing like her personality at home!!!) but they are able to get her to do a little crafting. She doesn't talk much to others, again, she is not very comfortable with public interaction. I usually have to do the talking for her...she likes to give me a doe-eyed stare when people ask her a question...like I'm supposed to interpret every look she gives me! I do my best.

Tomorrow is her last radiation treatment! Yeah! This went so much better than I had anticipated. Once again, God has strengthened this little girl beyond human belief!

While at the clinic, we were able to personally meet another young lady with whom I have been following her cancer journey via her caringbridge site. I hope her mom doesn't mind, but I'd love to solicit some more prayers for her as they heard some hard news today. Please check in on Morgan, www.caringbridge.org/visit/morgansnowden ...she is another beautiful little soul who has unbelievable courage! I can't say enough how amazing all this young children battling cancer are. And this whole journey has been for us.

Just sitting in the waiting room yesterday at the radiology office, we've meet the nicest most caring people...people who are battling for their own lives and they pass care and concern on to us. I know it must be a heartbreaking site to see a little three year old girl receiving such a scary medical treatment, but she can affect all around her when her name is called and she hops off her chair and bravely marches back to "the room!"

I still can't believe sometimes that these are my shoes walking into the room behind her...shoes of a mother with a child battling cancer. But she makes me so brave and strong. I emulate her behavior the best I can, but I'm still the one behind the wall getting to "watch" her on two little tv monitors as the "washing machine" (the name applied by Sicily to any HUGE medical machine she winds up encountering) does it's job...all the while she remains still. A hard task even for the calmest adult. I can't believe we are almost done with this leg of the journey. It has been very bearable!

In addition to getting to spend some extra quality time with family, it has been a pleasant experience. I will miss seeing the pretty smiling faces on all the techs who have gingerly cared for Sicily during her treatments. A person can't help but feel a connection with anyone who plays such an important role in the care of a precious child. Just like with Dr. Puffinbarger...her surgeon. We were supposed to have a post-op appointment with her but never could get our schedules to coincide. I just wanted her to see Sicily...this Sicily...the way she is when she's feeling good. I wanted her to see how well she "fixed" her! I just couldn't wait to thank her again for all she's done. I spoke to her nurse today and asked her to please convey how wonderful Sicily is doing right now and she said to call her the next time we were in OKC and she would try to get us in to see Dr. Puff. I plan on it!

Also, while we in the clinic today, one of the art volunteers asked if Sicily would want to participate in an art show. She would get paired up with a local artist and create a canvas piece of art which would then be framed and put on display. The night of the art show, she is supposed to get all dolled up and would be picked up by limo and taken to the show where she would walk the red carpet and be photographed by her painting which will then be put up for auction. This is right up our alley. I'm going to work very hard to see if we can swing this. I'll pull out her chemo protocol and count the days in hopes that she'll be in between her inpatient treatments. I just think this would be such an awesome experience for her. She may not understand it all, but boy, it would be fun!

Well, getting close to bedtime. We feel surrounded by love and prayers right now...the only way a person can go through a situation like this. God Bless you all!

Love,
Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!