Thread: Copic Chatter
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #200
cuppymouse
Rubber Obsessor

Totally agree about sets in general EXCEPT if you have a Dick Blick near you.

They have a set of 24 done exclusively for them that actually has mostly useful colors (see below), and they **offer coupons**. It's $116 now, but I got it last Spring for $99 with a 30% off coupon. If you pay the $10 to join their frequent buyer club, they send you 30% and 40% coupons for in-store use every now and then, and you can also sign up for in-store coupons using the link on the store finder page. Not sure if they offer comparable on-line coupons, but if you like the set, it's worth investigating as your per marker cost is quite solid with this set.

It's too bad the other sets are not viable. Every time I get the really good 40% coupons, I keep looking at them and rejecting them. But I am very happy with my first copic purchase, which is officially called the Dick Blick Copic Manga Wallet Set A, and commend it to your attention!

Unfortunately, the site lists names, not numbers. Here's the description:

Set includes 24 markers in bright and skin tone colors, housed in a flexible nylon travel case that sits up on your desk for easy access and folds down beautifully for storage. This a perfect set for fashion and animation illustration. Contains one each Bougainvillea, Strong Red, Light Orange, Cadmium Orange, Acid Yellow, Golden Yellow, Spectrum Green, Veronese Green, Aqua Blue, Holiday Blue, Light Hydrangea, Stratospheric Blue, Crimson, Dog Rose Flower, Blue Violet, Prune, Neutral Gray 6, Neutral Gray 3, Sepia, Chamois, Fruit Pink, Skin White, Special Black, and a Colorless Blender.

Also, I personally prefer to purchase markers in sets of 2 (i.e., 2 of the same letter and same first number, but a second number about 3 apart) so you can blend, as opposed to singles. You can blend with markers outside the natural blending groups too, of course, but this was easier for me to follow when starting the collection. Finally, very light and light markers are your friends. Marianne's blog has a great explanation about this, as well as advice on picking colors.

Hope this helps! Once you get comfortable with these, you will very likely love them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!