Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to use Cuttlebug with extra long Revolution Dies?

I am loving my new Cuttlebug and have been using a variety of dies with great success, thanks to all the knowledgeable folks in these forums!

But I saw some extra long Revolution dies at Hobby Lobby that are just gorgeous, but they are longer than the Cuttlebug plates. For example, this 2.5" x 12" flourishes die!

The extra long Revolution platform is some kind of metal contraption, not a regular sandwich-type plate.

I don't see why the Cuttlebug wouldn't work with something longer, since it is just rollers, but what do you use for longer plates? You would need both the A and B plates to be longer.

Any clever people out there figured it out yet?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can run it through leaving one end stick out, and then carfully slide the uncut part of the die between the plates and run it through again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 07:34 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy an extra set of plates and tape them together. A friend of mine has done this and says it works...I'm going to try it next time I get to Mike's.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

The QK 12" platform ($10 at OhMyCrafts and it comes with 1 cutting pad) with some shims or the Sizzix Extended (Essentials) Platform with the Sizzix Extended Cutting Pads would work. I have some of the Bigz XL dies and had to buy the Extended Cutting Pads anyway.

You will need something in addition to the QK platform to send the thin border dies through a CB. I bought it thinking it would be enough and it isn't, so I bought the Sizzix Extended (Essentials) Platform and between all the extended platforms and cutting plates I have now, I can get a good sandwich.

I use this in a BigShot, so let me find everything and see what would work in a CB. The QK platform in narrow, but the Sizzix ExPlatform & Cutting Pads might be too wide.

I got a better result putting the die on something the right size and using the smaller plates as shims. The first few times I shimmed underneath the QK platform with various regular-sized CB & BigKick plates and some cardstock and eventually hit upon a good sandwich. Then I decided to just bite the bullet and buy a Sizzix Extended Platform. I've used the ExPlatform enough now that I feel it was worth buying.

QK Platform @ OMC here.

OMC also has a bunch of the QK border dies on clearance for $12.50 on this page.

Sizzix items:

Extended Platform

Extended Cutting Pads

Buying the Sizzix Extended Platform wasn't a waste of money (and it was on sale a while back). I figured it was worth it since I paid only $12.50 each for QK border dies. Also, now I use the Sizzix Extended Platform & Cutting Pads to send multiple Sizzlits through the BigKick. It saves a bunch of time.

Sizzix has free shipping if over $75.

OMC has 10% off your entire order (including sale & clearance items) going right now: YEAREND10

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 12-31-2008 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I just checked and the Extended Sizzix Platform and Cutting Plates will not fit through a CB. It's very close, though! If you're handy with tools you could trim a bit off and be good to go.

My other suggestion would be to buy the $10 QK Platform at OMC (which is currently 10% off with the coupon code) and use CB plates & cardstock to shim. The 12" QK platform will give you an even cutting surface even if you have to tape the underlying shims together. It's also slightly magnetized so the border won't shift. I use my other QK dies with it and can send a bunch through at once.

You could even add a few of their clearance QK borders to make the S&H worth it. It would be the logical thing to do. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default Different Sizzix Strip platform

The Other Meg;

Your replies have been SO HELPFUL and I appreciate the time you spent. I saw the Sizzix platform you mentioned and you are right - it is 6 1/4" wide and the Cuttlebug max is 6", so it is a fourth-inch too wide. I was about to order it so you have SAVED me!!

They have another Sizzix platform and strip plates. They are narrow and long - different from the BigZ extended platform which is long and wide.

Joann's has them:
Sizzix BIGkick Extended Spacer Platform (2 3/4" x 13 1/2")
Sizzix Decorative Strip Cutting Pad (13'' pair)

And in the meantime, I found this YouTube video from CropStop.com showing how to do a sandwich in the Cuttlebug - it requires the stuff mentioned above plus CropStop exclusive adaptors to make it the right thickness.

CropStop also carries the Sizzix parts. I have not ordered from them. They have a CropStop Cash loyalty program but I don't have any info on how that works - they don't say up front what the discount is.
Reply With Quote Likes