View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #354
cuccicoo1002
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post
I reheated soup for DH & I and got the kids Little Caesar's. I noticed they had pork sirloin roasts at the grocery store for $1.99 per pound...thinking I may get one, but not sure how to cook one of those? Looked like two pork loins in a net bag to me. I'll have to check allrecipes.com.
I found this on chow.com:

Pork sirloin

Other Names: Roasts: Chuletero or cadera (Spanish), chump (British), fondello, carr, or culatello (Italian), hip-bone roast, loin end roast, loin pork roast, sirloin end roast, sirloin roast, surlonge (French). Steaks and Cutlets: Boneless butt steak, costilla asadera (Spanish, butt steak), sirloin cutlet, sirloin steak.
General Description: The pork sirloin (NAMP 410A) is a fairly lean and economical roast that includes parts of both the backbone and the complicated hipbone. A whole bone-in sirloin can be difficult to carve, so its usually best to get a rolled and tied boneless sirloin roast. A pork sirloin butt steak is made up of many different muscles, some more tender than others, but all with full-bodied pork flavor. It is a popular cut among Mexicans. Sirloin is rather lean, so be careful not to overcook.
Part of Animal: The sirloin is the upper hip section of the loin primal, which runs along the back. A bone-in sirloin roast will also contain the larger butt end of the tenderloin.
Characteristics: Pork sirloin is moderately tender, lean, and versatile with excellent flavor.
How to Choose: For ease of carving, buy a boned, rolled, and tied sirloin roast. You may order a roast of two top butt sirloins tied together for a regularly shaped rolled roast. - sounds like this is what they have at your store...
Amount to Buy: A boneless sirloin will weigh about 8 pounds and is large enough to feed 15 to 20 people. Allow 3/4 pound per person for bone-in sirloin; 1/2 pound per person for boneless sirloin.
Storage: Store sirloin roasts up to 3 days refrigerated; store cutlets and cubes up to 2 days refrigerated.
Preparation:
  1. Season roast with spices as desired, then place roast, fat side up, on a rack in a roasting pan, uncovered.
  2. Roast at 325F until the internal temperature reaches 150F at the thickest point.
  3. Remove from the oven, cover with foil, and allow to rest for 15 to 30 minutes, for the temperature to even out and the juices to be reabsorbed into the meat. The temperature will rise about 5F.
Flavor Affinities: Allspice, caraway, chipotle chiles, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, dark rum, garlic, limes, sage, shallots, sherry.

Happy Cooking!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!