Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! My Cuttlebug won't cut!!

Hello everyone,

My hubby gave me my CB for my birthday about 14 months ago. I was THRILLED! I LOVE embossing with it and have used it exclusively for that purpose. Today I tried to actually use it for die cutting (progressive concept no?) and it WOULD NOT CUT! I heard this horrible cracking sound and it would not crank through. I removed it, took apart the sandwich and tried again, same problem. Tried different cardstock, same problem. Took apart the handle and reassembled it, tried again. Same problem. So I removed the first B plate from between the A plate and the die and tried several different amounts of cardstock on top of the second B plate to act as a shim. If it cranked through, it did not cut through the paper entirely, with one additional sheet of cardstock I once again could not even crank the handle. (Also, it ate into my B plate on one end, this is normal though, right?)

So, before I email Provocraft crying hysterically - does anyone have any words of advice or comfort? Has this happened to you? How did you fix it? I am so disappointed - I really thought the Cuttlebug could do it all, now I am not convinced. I am also angry with myself for not trying this sooner as I can't return the machine if there is a problem with the height of the plates, should that be the cause of the problem. Maybe it was the die? I didn't try another I was so frustrated - it was one of the dies from the combo set "Birthday Wishes"?

Thanks for listening. I look forward to any suggestions you are able to provide.

CMC

PS - On a positive note - it was also my first time trying the Shimmerz paints today and I LOVED them and wish I had tried them sooner! Such a lovely effect with such little effort! I recommend them highly (though I have also recommended the CB to people...)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure what kind of die you are using...but I have had luck with cuttlebug and nestability dies. The sandwiches are different for each die and I am wondering if you are missing a plate somewhere along the way or trying to use a B plate instead of a C. I think the C plate is slightly thicker.

For instance when I use the nesties I have to do (from the bottom up) the A plate, C plate Die with cutting surface up, card stock, and B plate. The B plate will etch from the die and that is normal.

When I cut with the cuttlebug dies I do the A, then B, then die foam side up, cardstock, and B plate (I try to always etch into the same plate).

You'd have to check the "sandwich" suggestions for dies made by other manufacturers. A little tweaking is all you probably need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by basurokView Post
I'm not sure what kind of die you are using...but I have had luck with cuttlebug and nestability dies. The sandwiches are different for each die and I am wondering if you are missing a plate somewhere along the way or trying to use a B plate instead of a C. I think the C plate is slightly thicker.

For instance when I use the nesties I have to do (from the bottom up) the A plate, C plate Die with cutting surface up, card stock, and B plate. The B plate will etch from the die and that is normal.

When I cut with the cuttlebug dies I do the A, then B, then die foam side up, cardstock, and B plate (I try to always etch into the same plate).

You'd have to check the "sandwich" suggestions for dies made by other manufacturers. A little tweaking is all you probably need.
Nope, that is what I did, and it didn't work. I followed the instructions in the instruction manual. It was the CB combo die that accompanies the Birthday Wishes embossing folder set, and no luck. I checked to make sure I had the A-B-die foam up-paper-B sandwich, and it didn't work. :(

Someone who left a comment in the photo in my gallery suggested I press down on the foam with something a bit, that might help - have you tried this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Sorry that your CB isn't working. :(

I would recommend you call ProvoCraft instead of emailing them. I emailed them once and never got a response - but I had to call them yesterday because my machine broke and I got right through.

Good luck to you.

BTW, have you tried using the C plate instead of 2 B plates? All machines are different and mine was a little tight so I had to play with the stacks to get everything to work just right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by transprntbutterflyView Post
Sorry that your CB isn't working. :(

I would recommend you call ProvoCraft instead of emailing them. I emailed them once and never got a response - but I had to call them yesterday because my machine broke and I got right through.

Good luck to you.

BTW, have you tried using the C plate instead of 2 B plates? All machines are different and mine was a little tight so I had to play with the stacks to get everything to work just right.
I will give the C-plate a try. I guess it would be A-die-paper-C ?

Did they offer a replacement? Sorry yours broke. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Math ChickView Post
I will give the C-plate a try. I guess it would be A-die-paper-C ?

Did they offer a replacement? Sorry yours broke. :(

Try A, C, die, paper, B

They did agree to replace mine. All I had to do was ship the broken one back to them and they will ship me a new one at no cost. I was thrilled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by transprntbutterflyView Post
Try A, C, die, paper, B

They did agree to replace mine. All I had to do was ship the broken one back to them and they will ship me a new one at no cost. I was thrilled.
Excellent! I am glad they stood by their product!

If C is thicker than B, wouldn't the sandwich you suggest be even thicker? Because the one Provocraft suggests was already too thick to fit through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

When you use embossing folders, are they going through fairly easily using the A plate with the embossing folder between two B plates??

If so, just try the CB die following the directions and let it make the cracking noise (it should if you have uncut plates actually) and just crank it through. It will give you more resistance than when you are only embossing. If you have never cut with it, it might be a surprise that it makes a sound...and that it will be a little harder to crank at the point of the die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 06:46 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do
A
B
paper that I'm cutting
die
C

cracking sounds are normal

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good luck. Since you have had the CB for 14 months I would not imagine they would replace it. Bummer. I love mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberAKAmomView Post
I do
A
B
paper that I'm cutting
die
C

cracking sounds are normal
That sounds right to me - Mine cracks and creaks all the time - nearly frightened me to death the first time it happened.

OP-I'm confused are you stopping the sandwich because of the noise or does it truly not go through?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been said that each CB has a slightly different tension. Try putting your sandwich through but off setting the plates so the whole thickness isn't going through at the start. Hopes this helps. Have had my CB since April and just love ALL it can do!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
That sounds right to me - Mine cracks and creaks all the time - nearly frightened me to death the first time it happened.

OP-I'm confused are you stopping the sandwich because of the noise or does it truly not go through?
The handle does not turn after the cracking noise, at all, when I tried to cut. I have trid to force it, and it doesn't move. That is why I tried taking apart the handle and putting it back together.

When I emboss there is a little resistence, it does not crank through smoothly without effort, it takes a little muscle, though it does go through and the handle does turn.

I love how it embosses, I just wish it could do everything it is supposed to do.

Thank you all for your help, I do appreciate it and hope something someone says will work so I can use it to die-cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The handle does not turn after the cracking noise, at all, when I tried to cut. I have trid to force it, and it doesn't move. That is why I tried taking apart the handle and putting it back together.

When I emboss there is a little resistence, it does not crank through smoothly without effort, it takes a little muscle, though it does go through and the handle does turn.

I love how it embosses, I just wish it could do everything it is supposed to do.

Thank you all for your help, I do appreciate it and hope something someone says will work so I can use it to die-cut.
Well, I think even though it has been 14 months it is worth ringing Provocraft and asking if there are any adjustments they can recommend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Nope, that is what I did, and it didn't work. I followed the instructions in the instruction manual. It was the CB combo die that accompanies the Birthday Wishes embossing folder set, and no luck. I checked to make sure I had the A-B-die foam up-paper-B sandwich, and it didn't work. :(

Someone who left a comment in the photo in my gallery suggested I press down on the foam with something a bit, that might help - have you tried this?
It sounds like you might have a bad machine. I've never had to press down the foam on any of my CB dies. I get resistance and cracking/etching sound but I am able to crank my sandwich all the way through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that happened to mine also, I've considered it borke and bought a wizard instead that had no plastic parts to crack. My handle also didn't grab

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I suggest you call them. Provo Craft is VERY proud of their cuttlebug - and they should be. When mine broke - it was under a year old and they simply replaced it.
Reply With Quote Likes