View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #344
JanTInk
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Today I have my vegetable soup going and pulled the frozen bread dough out of the freezer and have it in the pans to rise. For the soup I chopped an onion and 3 stalks of celery, threw it in my soup pot, then cut up my chuck roast and threw that in. I decided to brown everything first...I usually skip that, but it does add some flavor. Then added about 2 quarts of water and a couple of bay leaves, brought it to a boil, then skimmed the foam off the top and it's going to simmer a good long time.

After that, I usually throw in more veggies: frozen corn, peas, and green beans, a can of chopped tomatoes with the liquid, some fresh cabbage, carrots and potatoes, then some beef bouillon crystals, a clove of garlic, a little Kitchen Bouquet, and some V-8 juice. Then I cook it until the potatoes are soft and then I cook it some more. It always tastes better the next day, but it tastes darned good the first day too! It's really my favorite soup, but I'm an equal opportunity soup lover. Must dig out my Italian Soup cookbook I bought a while back and do some experimenting with new recipes...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!