View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #79
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 07, 2008 08:26 PM, CST

Evening,
Today actually felt like we were starting to move forward. Sicily has been doing pretty good. She's been drinking a little water and keeping it down. And her bowels are singing. Who would have ever thought two simple little things could provide such happiness?

She still has no desire to eat anything, but tomorrow is a new day and I'm going hope she starts to regain her appetite. They weighed her this evening and she weighs over 38 pounds...more than she did coming in. And she hasn't had a bite to eat.

Her little body has been sustained on a bag of yellow fluid, called a TPN and a white bag of fat emulsion...yum, yum. We tell her they're her lemonade and milk. I don't think she buys it. She's allowed to eat anything solid right now, but I think she is scared...there is a mental issue about eating and throwing up, so it could take awhile.

We did manage to go to the Christmas party this afternoon as a family for a bit. We were limited on time with the IV pump running on battery power. Sicily was overwhelmed, I think, by the number of people, and didn't care to eat any pizza, pop or cookies...something she usually likes!

She has cried a bit this evening about missing Stowie and wanting to go home, but when I bring up that all she has to do to get home is start eating, she changes her mind and says she doesn't want to go home. I wonder if she even remembers what home is? Nineteen days in the hospital could probably weaken a three year olds memory.

I brought little photo albums with me to remind her of home and our family. She enjoyed looking through them tonight. I was just hoping it would spark a desire to return to our life we have created there. Unfortunately, time will only tell. And I feel like time is wasting away as each day passes in here. We watch other patients and families come and go, yet we are starting to feel like a permanent fixture. The nurses make it all worthwhile, though. I still can't say enough about how wonderful they are. I will surely miss them if we ever get our walking papers!

Well, Sicily is getting sleepy, so when she starts to go down, so do I so I can hopefully get a little sleep here and there. Pray we can head east one of these days!

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!