View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #78
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 07, 2008 08:13 AM, CST

Good Sunday Morning,

We had a pretty rough evening yesterday. Sicily's ng tube was pulled yesterday morning and she began to throw up again. By about 5:00, they decided to do another CT scan to check and make sure she was not having another intercceseption (sp?) with her bowels.

Our problem was that she had to drink the red contrast, about 8 to 10 ounces in a couple hours time before the scan. She kept throwing up and we had no way to know how much she had actually kept down. Finally, by about 9:30 they decided the only thing to do was re-insert another ng tube so they could get the contrast directly into her stomach. That was a very unpleasant experience...holding down our daughter so a tube could be forced into her nose and down her throat.

Her nurse said she hates doing this procedure...it's like giving shots, she knows it's painful and scary. But we were successful and we're down in CT by about 10:30pm. The radiology resident reported back to us around 11:30 and said that everything pretty much looked okay, nothing outside of normal surgical recovery. That rested our minds a little, but there was still the underlying issue as to why she kept throwing up.

Patrick and I both stayed the night as we anticipated the worst, but were pleasantly surprised when Sicily only woke once to use the bathroom. We did keep the suction on her tube all night as to remove the remaining contrast in her stomach, but other than that, nothing else came up.

The doctors have discontinued her antibiotics since she is far enough out from surgery and that could be a contributing factor to her nausea. Zofran has not worked and they are not going to give her Phenegren (sp?) anymore. One of the surgery fellows was just in and said we will go ahead and pull the ng tube again, and may even let Sicily have a cracker along with her other liquids. I'm keeping her away from water as I feel that letting her drink just water on an empty stomach can also cause nausea, so we have a barrage of different things to try to coerce her to consume. Wish us luck.

She is definitely acting a lot like the Sicily we are used to...she is still very grumpy and bossy...but we are continuing to be patient with her. We are still going to attempt to attend the Children's Christmas party this afternoon, then Patrick will head back to Broken Arrow with the other three kids. I will stay and continue to get her to drink and eat. Bless you all for your support!

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!