View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #73
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

ANOTHER UPDATE FOR SICILY

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 04, 2008 01:28 PM, CST

Afternoon...second posting for today. We've already had one little surprise today...nobody told us that an ultrasound had been ordered until a man came with a wheelchair to take Sicily downstairs. It's quite a production to get all her "baggage" to tote along with us. Fortunately, this guy new what he was doing and got us down to where we needed to be without any problems.

It took a long time to do the ultrasound as they were being very thorough. They didn't see any problems, but didn't completely rule out that an intercession (sp?) couldn't happen again. We just wait, watch and see...as with everything else.

Walking through the halls of the hospital, especially when we were downstairs, we still attract the looks from many who give us a tight lipped grin as if to say, "Poor thing!" I catch myself returning that same grin as if to say, "Yes, we know!" But I've also started a habit of not even making eye contact with others as if to avoid the en evitable pity stares. I know nothing is meant by it, but sometimes I still need to get past the pity I feel myself, so avoiding what is directed towards us is the only thing I can do. It's human nature.

I'm guilty of slightly taking a peek in patients rooms as we take a walk around the ninth floor surgery recovery. When I see young parents with a little newborn baby, my heart sinks. We're all going through our own different trials, but we're all parents who love their little people more than life itself.

Isabella and Elias' elementary school is having a toy drive with the Children's Hospital in Tulsa being the recipient. One of Isabella's teachers, Ms. Jones, sent out an email and asked those who wanted to participate in the drive, to think about what their own child would want if it was they who were in the hospital over the holidays. That struck such a note with me...Sicily has been a recipient to a strangers generosity due to a toy drive that occurred some time, some place.

A hospital volunteer came to visit her room shortly after her first surgery with a cart overloaded with toys. She explained that every child who is admitted into this hospital is given a toy. And Sicily's cousin, Jordan, helped her pick out an adorable little baby doll with eyes adorned with curly eyelashes and a little bottle to feed her with. It was a very nice toy, not a cheap one, by any means.

I made the decision that whenever I buy another toy for a donation, I will buy something very, very special...that's one way I can pay it forward for what has been done for and given to us! It's amazing what such a small effort can achieve. What a blessing!

Well, Patrick and Sicily are taking little catnaps. Still don't know if we'll get our visitor today, but I'll post either way later on! Don't you just love suspense?!

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!