View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #69
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Latest Update on Sicily

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 02, 2008 12:34 PM, CST

Hello,
We are moved to our new temporary residence, room #9168...and it's one of the bigger rooms, thank goodness! Sicily and I are settled in and she is taking a little nap. The nurse brought us some bubbles to use for respitory excercises, again, and she really likes doing that. Before she dosed off, we did it for about ten minutes.

Last night was probably the best I've slept in the hospital so far these almost past two weeks. It was all because of another one of God's anges! Sicily's nurse last night in the PICU was named Summer. She and her family are from Minnesota, and I could tell by the slight accent she still carried with her. All the nurses have been nice and very helpful so far, but there are some that you immediately feel a bond with and they leave an impact.

Last night, while Summer was checking Sicily's vitals we engaged in small talk. I asked her what brought her to Oklahoma from Minnesota, and her reply was, "this job!" She worked in a PICU before having children and when she decided to go back to work, there were no PICU positions available in the hospital she had previously been at. So, she and her family moved here specifically for her job. I said, "doesn't working in this environment get stressful and hard at times?" She replied, "that's what I crave."

She continued by saying that one of the reasons she wants to work in such a setting is because she is a mom herself and she can't imagine what it's like to watch your child lay there as my child was. She wants parents to know that their child will be taken care of and cared for while she is on watch. There was such a reassuring sense about her.

I slept pretty good, as good as a person can sleep on a fold out chair bed, but I still woke several times and laid still in bed with my eyes closed as I listened to how Summer interacted with Sicily. Several times I could feel the tears well up in my eyes...she was so good to her. It takes such a special person to do what she does and I truly believe these wonderful people are a very selective group of God's angels. I thank God for crossing our lives paths. There is so much good out there, even amidst such sadness.

I don't want to look back on these days spent in the hospital as lost time. It has been hard and stressful, mind you, but it's also been an incredible experience to see this part of society and how it functions. I'm learning that medicine, as I've heard many times before, is not an exact science. And doctors, even surgeons, can have and express emotions that can really bring down the barriers between that doctor patient line. You realize they are human and not a computerized robot that has all the answers.

Many are parents, too, and working with children, they sometimes have to put themselves in the "parents shoes" to understand and act upon those deep running emotions. All I can say is, "Thank you God for creating such amazing people!" We're getting ready for some visitors here shortly, so I'd better sign off for now.

I forgot to mention that Sicily has lost both her IV's in her arms and her catheter has been removed. Each lost tube and wire is a step closer to recovery in my book. The nurse said her bowels sound like they are moving...so keep praying.

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!