View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #63
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Early morning update - rough night for Sicily and family.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2008 03:45 AM, CST

I'm not the blogger Kerry is, but I couldn't wait any longer to post this (it's 3:45 am for those not looking at the time stamp). My cousin Anita emailed me within days of Sicily's diagnosis and told me to be prepared for an emotional roller-coaster. Well, the last 24 hours have been just that.

Minutes after my "3-lap jog" post from Saturday, Sicily began feeling poorly again. Whitney, Larry, and Jane (my niece, brother, and sis-in-law) arrived shortly after and we watched Sicily drift off to sleep. I went to get a shower and lunch while they sat with Sicily. During my return drive to the hospital a few hours later, I had this good feeling that when i entered the hospital room Sicily would be either still sleeping or playing with her guardians. Well, i was severely disappointed. Larry and Jane said she had awaken from her nap and began vomitting again and complaining about pain in her tummy. Sicily continued to be sick but i insisted Larry and Jane leave so Larry could get home to watch the OU game.

After they left, I talked to Kerry a few times and informed her we were taking 2 steps back with Sicily's condition. By 6 pm, I felt the big "D" starting to attack me. I'm a pretty stable guy, but I felt myself beginning to slip into a mini-depression. We no longer were battling cancer, we were just trying to beat nausea; and losing big time. How could we ever expect to defeat cancer if we couldn't simply recover from surgery? I hit bottom at 7 pm when a new nurse walked in (hospital nurse shift change is 7 am / 7 pm) and Sicily promptly cried out in pain and threw up a couple ounces of yellowish stomach bile. This new nurse (name is Juquita) said, "I can give her something for that, it's called Phenergan, and it will calm her stomach and let her relax and sleep". I said, "sure, we've been here 11 days and the plethora of drugs they've thrown at her haven't worked....let's add another to the list". Well, by 7:30 pm Sicily was sound asleep. She hadn't slept soundly in at least a week. I kept putting my hand on her chest to make sure she was breathing. I had become quite accustomed to hearing her cry out every 30 minutes in pain or need to puke some bile.

She awoke about 3 am to use the bathroom and became a little restless, so i asked Juquita if she could have another shot of Phenergan. She's sleeping soundly again. Juquita was surprised no one had suggested Phenergan until now. I told Juquita she is Sicily's guardian angel because she rescued her from a nasty abyss.

It's amazing how much joy such a small improvement in her condition gives me. Only time will tell if this improvement will carry over to tomorrow, but i'm celebrating anyway. Lately, victories around here have been few and far between.

I'll post again later in the morning. Peace, Patrick.

p.s. For any Mizzou fans (not that anyone would claim to be one), we rocked you today. Rock Chalk Jayhawk Baby!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!