The news is not exactly what was hoped -- please keep praying.
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 24, 2008 05:26 PM, CST
Dr. Meyer came for a visit a bit ago...I'm still trying to absorb all the information. The news infact is not what we wanted.
Sicily's tumor in her right kidney came back unfavorable histology, stage III...it has anaplasia cells. It's too early to make the call, but Dr. Meyer is leaning towards going back to surgery and removing the rest of the right kidney. He won't be able to meet with the other couple of doctor's who will be part of the team responsible for making the decision until Wednesday...so we will try to patiently wait.
If they indeed decide to do a second surgery, Dr. Meyer is going to press for as soon as possible. That could mean Friday or that could mean sometime next week, don't really know. The option of continuing to try to treat this kidney with chemo doesn't sound very promising. The level of toxicity of the drugs needed could actually do more harm to Sicily's body than good. Even though I hate the thought of going through this surgery all over again, if it can heal my baby, then it's what needs to be done!
I of course posed the question of whether or not Sicily could have normal renal function on two thirds of her remaining kidney, and Dr. Meyer said it's possible, but only time would tell. A transplant down the road did become part of the conversation, but Dr. Meyer also reminded me that we will be taking this one step and one day at a time, so I won't let my wandering mind get too far ahead of the current events!
I know I've asked so much from everyone so far, but we are in need of so much more...the prayers just can't stop! And I know they won't! We love you all and couldn't get through this without each and every one of you! You have all helped carry this heartache...one in which I hope we can someday mend!