View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #43
caterinafmig
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

A FEW UPDATES FROM SICILY'S CB SITE.

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2008 08:05 AM, CST

Rough night, good morning. I expected sleep depravation in my first night in the hospital, but not to this level. Between beeping monitors, nurse visits, and things that go bump in the night, i didn't sleep more than 20 minutes at a time. Sicily ran a temperature of 103 degrees part of the night. The nurse was concerned with her right lung sounding a bit raspy. She wanted Sicily to breathe into an apparatus to inflate the lungs. Sicily was not in a cooperative mood. If she wouldn't perform the exercises, they told me to at least get her sitting up in bed. I was successful in moving her to a sitting position.

The surgeon Fellow came in later and removed the bandage from the incission. I was expecting worse. Got to go.

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2008 10:03 AM, CST

Morning,

This is Kerry. When I arrived at the hospital this morning, Sicily was propped up in bed and was awake and talking. She seems to be doing pretty good, although the nurse was in taking a bunch of blood and urine samples for tests...want to make sure the fever isn't due to some infections.

Patrick and I just finished having her sit on the side of the bed and dangle her legs off the side. She cooperated with us and didn't seem to mind too much, even though when I asked her if she was comfortable she shook her head no. She is starting to say she is thirsty but as long as she still has her "whatchamacallit" tube in her nose to her stomach, she can't have anything, so we're not going to drink anything in front of her. I told her that she couldn't have anything to drink until the tube was taken out and she replied, "I don't want it out!" "WHAT?" Funny girl! I'm relieved that it doesn't seem to bother her too much.

The surgeons want her up walking today but she can't until she loses her epidural, and I don't know the plan for that yet. She's watching a DVD of the Christmas Story right now. She's already watched Home Alone. Thank heaven for the TV and DVD player! She has been awake most of the morning, so it is nice to see her with her eyes open and able to converse. Her brow is furrowed from time to time and her mouth hasn't formed into her beautiful smile yet, but I know it's in there and will surface soon.

My prayer request for today is that she continues to heal with no infections and that her lungs be clear as to help ward off pneumonia! Patrick's getting ready to head off to take a shower and try to get a little rest. My sister and brother will come keep us company for awhile. I'll keep updating whenever we hear anything. Bless you all!

Kerry

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2008 11:07 AM, CST

Hi again,

This is my second posting so far today...right now there may be several or more a day. Having this laptop in Sicily's room makes me feel like I have everybody in here with us. What a blessing. I think Disney donated the computer to the hospital for parents to use...what a nice gesture!

Sicily is resting now. She's moving her legs about and still has those body spasms quite often. She'll be snoring right along and then her body jerks. I don't know how restful that can be. Before she decided to take a nap, she wanted to open a gift that Patrick's boss and co-worker from Broken Arrow personally delivered yesterday. It's a cuddly light brown Build-A-Bear that they named "Faith." She is now dressed in her pink chenille rob and bunny slippers...and laying right on top of Sicily as she's sleeping. She loves it! Her other bear "Hope" is by her side, as well. She is surrounded by Faith and Hope...she will be healing soon!!!

I have to share a funny little story yesterday. I was down the hall when the surgeon and one of her fellows that assisted in the surgery came into the room to check on Sicily. Patrick was in here with her when they came in carrying two beautiful bouquets of flowers. Her surgeon, Dr. Puffinbarger (or Dr. Puff, as she wrote her number on the board in the room) said that they road the elevator up with the delivery person and found out the flowers were for their patient so they decided to take them. I just thought that was so funny! But that is exactly something that could be expected from this surgeon.

I think she is absolutely precious! She has such a way about her that makes you feel calm and at ease. And she makes you laugh. Who'd of thought we'd be laughing when she came out of surgery last Wednesday to talk to us? She is definitely where she's supposed to be! Anyway, I think I could write a book about some of our experiences! I'm sure there will be many more!

Kerry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!