View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 04:45 AM   #197
live2stamp
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberli View Post
Here you go ladies:

Gooey Toffee Butter Cake Bars (Paula Deen)
Cake:
1 (18.25 oz.) box yellow cake mix
1 large egg
1 stick butter, melted

Filling:
1 (8oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (16 oz.) box confectioners' sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup almond toffee bits or chocolate toffee bits (I used the almond ones)

Preheat oven to 350*F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2" pan.

For the cake: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, egg and butter and mix well. Pat into the bottom of prepared pan and set aside.

For the filling: Still using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Dump in confectioners' sugar and beat well. Reduce the speed and slowly pour in butter. Mix well. Fold in toffee bits.
Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40-50 min. Don't be afraid to make a judgment call on the cooking time, because oven temps. can vary. You want the center to be a little gooey, so don't bake it past that point.
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares. They are VERY, VERY rich and a little bit goes a long way.

***I baked mine for 50 min. and they were golden brown on top and glossy (like brownies get). I then cut them in 1" squares because they are REALLY BUTTERY AND SWEET!!!

So, how many calories are in a 1/2 lb. of butter and 1 lb. of sugar???

So, can we REALLY have these for DINNER??

I've made these before, but without the toffee pieces. I think I may have even posted the recipe in stamp camp treats. One 13 X 9 equals a SINGLE serving!! Yum! My original recipe called them "Chess Bars" but I renamed them Gooey Butter Bars because they reminded me of the gooey butter cake that my best friend always brings from St. Louis.

As for the calories in 1/2 lb. of butter and 1 lb. of sugar: in my mind, ZERO!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!