Thread: Big Shot FAQ
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #310
militarystampingmom
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankergypsie View Post
I have a customer who has the original Red Sizzix machine and she wanted to buy the Sizzix Go Go Boots alpha set and SU is selling. Right on the die set it says "For Roller Machines Only". I also called Sizzix Customer Service and they said the same thing. The die-hards (no pun intended!) that we are, we tried it on the original Red machine with the convertor and no shims/various shims and it would not cut through. Anyone else have this problem, or suggestions here?
I'm so sorry! I just verified that as well see this post I'm going to update right now!

Ahhh. Good question. Roll through machines maintain and distribute pressure more consistently than press type machines when you go over a certain size threshold.

With a press tool, you are generating pressure intermittently and only at certain points. This works out just fine when you are talking thick, steel rule dies or are using small dies that get cut in one press.

I won't bore you with the physics formula. (Too early on a Sunday) It has to do with the distribution of energy in a more efficient manner.

Forgot to answer the part about buying another machine. Yep....you'll need another machine to make those long dies work for you. It can be as inexpensive as a Cuttlekids machine (under $20) and a pair of 13" Sidekick mats. A Sidekick would also do the trick and is a LOT smoother to use. You can usually find one on clearance. Please note: Cuttlekid mats don't work with low profile dies, that's why you need the extended Sidekick mats. Cuttlekid mats are great for small to medium wafer thin dies in that machine (although it is not easy to cut cardstock with that gadget!).

Or (please don't hate me for saying this)...Look at the bigger picture and bite the bullet and save up and get an upgrade. If you have been happy with the Sizzix brand, you may just want to consider their Big Shot or Big Kick. Of course, there are other machines on the market (ahem--but you know what they are ). Getting a more current standard size machine will allow you to use the larger dies (more selection). You can sometimes find the older colors of either model (BS/BK) on sale/clearance.

Hugs,

Jane in San Diego

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!