View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #4005
Rainsong
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
Okay, I know we've had this discussion before, but it bit me again. On NBC Nightly News they were interviewing residents of Galveston as they returned to their homes for the first time. They showed this older woman who has lived in her home for over 40 years, has no insurance, and only Social Security as income. Her one-story home was flooded to five feet and all of her possessions are covered in mold and "toxic mud". While fighting tears she said that she kept telling herself that god would take care of her. Then she said that she guesses he still will, but she doesn't understand why this had to happen.

Again, all I could think about is how can they believe in a being that would purposely have these kinds things happen to (presumably) good, innocent people??!!! And how can one justify this belief when this woman's home and history are destroyed with no hope of rebuilding, while other people in the same community have virtually no damage at all? What makes one family worthy of having their home saved, while others "deserve" to lose everything! I really want to understand how this type of thinking is possible, because I am so unable to accept it!
That's why it's called "faith."

Rainsong