Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU MARKERS

Hello!

I have been umming and arring about copic vs SU for ages, I am still not 100%. I think if I had found copics in a store I would have bought them seeing as they are the in thing and every one raves about them!

I do not like buying online but go to SU parties often so I am closer to getting SU markers!

I want markers that I can put onto stamps directly, I like the colors to match and I do not have any big images to color nor do I buy big images. The stamps I buy are very small and have little to color so I think I am better investing in SU markers.

I am wondering if you can tell me how long they last, I won't be using them every day and do not want them drying out!

Would love to hear from anyone who has and loves their SU markers!

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I have and LOVE my Stampin UP! markers(and ink pads). I have been told that if you store them properly (on their side)they will last for many years. I'm on the fence about the copics too. I really like the outcome of the images, but never thought about being able to apply copics directly to a stamp. Hmmm. Just when I thought I'd made up my mind......lol.
You should check out Julie Buhler's blog, other than it being awesome, she has a tutorial on how to use your Stampin Up! markers to get the same look as copics.
http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ial-again.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by I love pinkView Post
Hello!

I have been umming and arring about copic vs SU for ages, I am still not 100%. I think if I had found copics in a store I would have bought them seeing as they are the in thing and every one raves about them!

I do not like buying online but go to SU parties often so I am closer to getting SU markers!

I want markers that I can put onto stamps directly, I like the colors to match and I do not have any big images to color nor do I buy big images. The stamps I buy are very small and have little to color so I think I am better investing in SU markers.

I am wondering if you can tell me how long they last, I won't be using them every day and do not want them drying out!

Would love to hear from anyone who has and loves their SU markers!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild4blueView Post
I have and LOVE my Stampin UP! markers(and ink pads). I have been told that if you store them properly (on their side)they will last for many years. I'm on the fence about the copics too. I really like the outcome of the images, but never thought about being able to apply copics directly to a stamp. Hmmm. Just when I thought I'd made up my mind......lol.
You should check out Julie Buhler's blog, other than it being awesome, she has a tutorial on how to use your Stampin Up! markers to get the same look as copics.
http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ial-again.html
Thank you and thank you for link....awesome video!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I've had my SU! markers for at least three years and they are still going strong, even though I use them for classes and workshops frequently.

I believe Copics and SU! markers are two different types -- Copics are alcohol-based, while SU!'s are water-based. With SU!'s, you can color directly on the stamp; I don't believe the same is true of Copics.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my SU markers. I use them mostly with my watercolor brush because I like that look the best. I have never regretted this purchase.

I am not that talented artistically so I don't think the copics are for me. I need something simple to use.

Also, I can't justify spending that much money on Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 02:28 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

It's really hard not to cave on the new trends like Copics, especially when so many folks have shown the wonderful results they can produce.

That said, I have a set of SU markers that is at least 2 years old and I have had no problems with them and none of them are running dry... I love that they match and I love being able to color stamps. I love the carrying case and the ease in finding the color I want.

But don't get me wrong - I still look at Copics and think "I want them!" but so far I have only 4 of them and can't really achieve the results others have until my "collection" grows. Who knows when that will be - I'm busy paying for college for the oldest. sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

OMG, I LOVE my SU! markers!! I've had mine for years and they haven't dried out yet (save for a couple of colors). I use them quite often, too! They work great, and if you're gentle on the tips you'll get a long life out of them. The biggest tip of the day is: Store them laying FLAT. That keeps the ink evenly distributed on the marker and keeps from having one end dry out.

I COMPLETELY and UTTERLY recommend them! I have been super happy with the results I get, and you're right - the matching colors can't be beat!

Visit my Blog!
See my SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the same set of SU markers for 5 years. Some of them -- the ones I've used a lot, are starting to show some wear and tear -- particularly my real red and my yoyo yellow (go figure)! If you use them to color directly on stamps, use the side of the brush, not the tip.

Using them directly on paper wears them out more quickly. but, really 5 years is outstanding for a product at this price level. I recommend them without hesitation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I bought my first set of SU markers 4 years ago and they are still going strong. I don't use them all the time and they did sit for about a year where I didn't use them at all.

Because the match the SU ink pad colors, you can refill them with re-inkers if they dry out - there is an entire thread on here somewhere about how to do this.

SU markers and Copics serve different purposes and I think that having both is not a bad thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I have had my SU marker for at least two years. I still love them and use them. I am buying some Copic's at HL and I am enjoying them. For the money and all around use, SU is probably best choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

I've had my SU markers for almost 2 years and have only had to replace 2. The first was the one that a customer used the tip to color the stamp instead of the side, as already mentioned. The second was the one my 6 year old bled dry by coloring my versamark pad with it - LOL!!! The marker and the ink pad were never the same but I may be able to emboss in red stripes now if I want ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Cool! Thank you so much for all your replies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawood37View Post
The second was the one my 6 year old bled dry by coloring my versamark pad with it - LOL!!! The marker and the ink pad were never the same but I may be able to emboss in red stripes now if I want ;)
Oh no! It did make me laugh though! I just picture your 6 year old coloring the pad now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

If you want to colour on the stamps directly, I say go for the SU markers. I have almost a whole set (I bought them individually by throwing in one or two markers on every order I placed, as I couldnt buy them all at once) and I really really do like them. I've had mine 3 years and they arent dry at all. My friend bought me a set of Copics, but I havent had enough "experimenting" time to get good at using them. So because of that, I dont really like them yet. I cannot do anything special with them. Copics have a learning curve from what I understand. For me, I dont seem to have enough time just to stamp, never mind learning how to use Copics properly! Whatever you choose, HAVE FUN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I love my SU markers and stamp pads because there is no worry to matching their cardstock!

I couldn't afford an entire set at once, so here's what we did:

Four people drew numbers out of a hat. Each month for 4 months we had our SU demo order an entire set of markers in the case and we each paid one fourth of the price.

Then, the person who drew number 1, got the first case, then the second month, person who who drew number 2 got the case. Whoever was to get the case that month paid the shipping for the set.

At the end of four months we had a complete set of markers AND a case!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I have the SU markers and have for about 10 years. One or two I noticed are a bit dry, and one of my kids smashed the brush tip on my black one. I love that I can purchase replacements for just those pens. I love doing lots of things with the SU markers. For me, it's not really an either/or choice. SU markers can do things that Copics can't and the other way around. I still say that SU markers are more essential than copics, and way, way cheaper.

When I do take the Copic plunge, I plan to do it in a big way. I'm going with Sketch instead of Ciao because they come in lots more colors and have the airbrush option should I decide to do that. I'm just biding my time, saving a bit at a time to get large sets of them. You can purchase them so much cheaper if you get sets instead of individual markers, plus you get a case for them as well. When I have enough $$ in my fund and can "justify" the cost, I'll purchase them in 72 count sets.

One note, I made a color comparison between all four Copic A, B, C, and D sets. There were only 5 duplicates between the sets and it's still much cheaper to have. The duplicates you'll end up having are BV000, YR000, Y06, E00, and 100. That's not bad when you consider they are $8 individually, but when purchased in a set, you can get them for less than $4.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I love my SU markers now that I can buy tip replacements for them & I love my Copic markers too. Because of the base content in them ( water vs. alcohol), I use them for two entirely different applications and in different ways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I found SU marker tip replacements here: Tips 4 Markers
Reply With Quote Likes