Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Cricut cut vinyl letters? and more questions

I am asking this because I have been approached by my husband's small golf club to make vinyl letters. The topic was brought up by the treasurer that they could save more money if they bought this Cricut machine that cost $79. Well my husband chimed in and mentioned "my wife has a cuttlebug and wants a Cricut and didnt' know what Cricut machine he was referring to because my wife has been wanting one these things for months and they run $299 + according to which one you want. Sometimes they run them on sale". The other guy said "oh really, well what if she bought the machine, whichever one she wants, and we buy the vinyl sheets of paper for letters and numbers to be made. We will pay her $10 per sign(for the sport) until her machine is paid for then we will go from there?". The sport would call for at least 18 signs per course with about 8 courses to work with.

So first, does it cut vinyl? They will be just thin vinyl letters that will go on a sign and will be covered w/ a protectant shield, so your basic thickness for vinyl letters. Which machine would work? the Cricut Create? Cricute Expressions? Would the Cricut come w/ the letter/numbers cartridge already? would it involve any ink to do this project? I'm assuming not if it's only cutting.

Any help would be appreciated. So basically they are saying over time, and they need 'lots and lots' of letters/numbers, they will pay for my machine.

You think it's a good deal?

Thanks in advance,

JOY
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 05:51 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Default Yes, in fact walmart just started selling the vinyl

not that i've tried it yet mind you, but i want to. it runs like 8.99 or something for a roll (walmart only sells black), then there is some kind of transfer paper that has to be used as well, and it is about the same price per roll. Again, not very helpful. I just was looking at cricut stuff when i noticed that the vinyl was there, a new item in the past few months. i do believe you might try cricuts web site, they might have more colors there, but not positive on that one. Depending on what cricut bundle you buy, you will generally get at least one font cartridge. For instance when i got mine last christmas it came with 2 font cartridges. I have the original cricut, but if you can, and heck if they are gonna end up paying for it in the end, go with the expressions. It has more capability. Further, if you buy the design studio software, it further extends the capability and lastly if you buy the scal software, you will have unlimited use as it will then convert and cut any true type font your little heart could desire. It will hook to your computer and let you use any font on your computer.
hth
tracyg

Last edited by Tracyg; 09-12-2008 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

i've heard the best place to get the vinyl is www.signwarehouse.com that sounds wonderful! guess you'll be getting a free cricut. i reccomend the "sure cuts a lot" (scal in above post) software. it allows you to cut any truetype font, not only the ones on your computer, but you can also download things, and there are lots of free designs for your enjoyment. ;) have fun! love my cricut, best deal is at www.acmoore.com. i got the cricut, a mat, a pack of marker cartridges, and 4 cartridges all for 329.99!

the cricut expressions is the most versatile of all the tools, i swear, there's nothing this machine can't do! you can even make your own embossing folders with it! (there's tutorials, online blogs) seriously, very impressive machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Go to you neighbourhood sign making shop. You'll get a good deal there. They may even give you scraps for free. Also Lowes sells vinyl called WallPops at $10 for 14 feet X 6 inches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Yes they all cut vinyl. These ladies are right, you should go to a sign shop for the vinyl, they have ALL colors and some already come with the transfer paper. I would go with the cricut expressions because if you need bigger letters or numbers for some reason you have more of a range with the bigger machine. I think its a great deal if they buy as you make, its like getting a free cricut. Also there is no ink involved with the cricut machines just cutting mats and blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphns_00View Post
Yes they all cut vinyl. These ladies are right, you should go to a sign shop for the vinyl, they have ALL colors and some already come with the transfer paper. I would go with the cricut expressions because if you need bigger letters or numbers for some reason you have more of a range with the bigger machine. I think its a great deal if they buy as you make, its like getting a free cricut. Also there is no ink involved with the cricut machines just cutting mats and blades.
actually just wanted to clarify the ink thing. they now have marker cartridges you can buy. you replace the blade with a marker, so anywhere that your design would be making a cut, it is instead drawing. i highly doubt this would work on the vinyl though, because i don't believe they are permanent ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Yep, all of the Cricut machines will cut vinyl. I get mine in rolls of 15 feet by 13 inches at www.signwarehouse.com. They also have the transfer tape. It is the best deal around.

Have fun!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

that's nice that they are willing to pay for your machine. however, what will happen after it's paid for? will they expect you to keep cutting their stuff and will they continue paying you for your time, or will they expect you to cut their stuff for free after that because they paid for your machine?

I don't have a Cricut, but you might as well get the big one if you know it will be paid for. Also, remember that your mats and blades will need replaced as they wear out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

I told them I would check into it first. To make sure it was a wise and possible thing to do.

If they decide to not pay after they get their 8 courses or so.. of signs @ $10 each then I would tell them I couldn't do it free. So I would have to charge for time and materials used and do the math from there.

Many of you are saying that I don't need ink for the vinyl (btw, I checked at Michaels today and they do have it by the roll, 2 sheets of 12" x 24". $9.99 w/ 40% off that would be inexpensive but I think the treasurer of the club would inquire for me at the sign shops, because that is where they do business already to get the signs made professionally. Thanks for that tidbit of info about cheap or possible free scraps of vinyl.

So you are saying I would need to take into account for replacement blades and mats? What all comes w/ a Cricut Expressions machine? I tried to read on the box at Michaels but was kind of confused with the contents part.

Where do you buy chipwood btw? I can find the diecut chipwood already at Michaels and HL but not the whole pieces...

Would a Cuttlebug cut vinyl? just curious if anyone has tried it.

I will give this more thought and let you know how it pans out.

Thanks for all the advice..

JOY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
Yep, all of the Cricut machines will cut vinyl. I get mine in rolls of 15 feet by 13 inches at www.signwarehouse.com. They also have the transfer tape. It is the best deal around.

Have fun!
Robyn,

What brand do you purchase?? I went to that site and was totally clueless!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=vensung1;11302901]Robyn,

Thanks![/QUOTE

Me too. Looks to complicated to choose from. Help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by TracygView Post
not that i've tried it yet mind you, but i want to. it runs like 8.99 or something for a roll (walmart only sells black), then there is some kind of transfer paper that has to be used as well, and it is about the same price per roll. Again, not very helpful. I just was looking at cricut stuff when i noticed that the vinyl was there, a new item in the past few months. i do believe you might try cricuts web site, they might have more colors there, but not positive on that one. Depending on what cricut bundle you buy, you will generally get at least one font cartridge. For instance when i got mine last christmas it came with 2 font cartridges. I have the original cricut, but if you can, and heck if they are gonna end up paying for it in the end, go with the expressions. It has more capability. Further, if you buy the design studio software, it further extends the capability and lastly if you buy the scal software, you will have unlimited use as it will then convert and cut any true type font your little heart could desire. It will hook to your computer and let you use any font on your computer.
hth
tracyg
Thanks for the info Tracy,

This scal sofware and design studio software you are talking about.. you mentioned it will connect to your computer and allow you use any font you want.. how does this attach to your Cricut, sorry I don't know anything about the Cricut, I am trying to read the website to find out how it works. But does it allow you hook up w/ an adapter to your computer? also, since it will allow you to cut any font.. can you cut any image you have on your computer as well or just fonts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

Talking

Is the price this week at A.C Moore for the Cricut Expressions w/ 4 cartridge bundle pack a good value at $349? I see you get ABC cartridge, not sure what others come w/ it.

Also, did anyone know about the Scal Software that Tracy spoke of that you use the Cricut Expressions with your computer. Would that allow you to do graphics of some type that you designed yourself as well as fonts? TIA

JOY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joy4llyView Post
Is the price this week at A.C Moore for the Cricut Expressions w/ 4 cartridge bundle pack a good value at $349? I see you get ABC cartridge, not sure what others come w/ it.

Also, did anyone know about the Scal Software that Tracy spoke of that you use the Cricut Expressions with your computer. Would that allow you to do graphics of some type that you designed yourself as well as fonts? TIA

JOY
Hey ya,

The software allows you to only look at and incorparate all of the current cricut cartridges. you need to own them before you use them though. I have heard of an add on that you can download to design your own images but I think sometimes it doesn't work properly and it voids the warranty on ur cricut if it stuffs up... I haven't downloaded it so I can't say for sure though. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Default Are they removable?

I have a cricut and love it and I realize that they will cut the vinyl letters but my question is are they easily removable from the walls? My roommates and I want to decorate our walls with quotes but we can't have anything permanent! So if anyone knows whether the letters come off easily I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks!
-Megan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Default Custom Vinyl Lettering

There's a great web site that will not only let you buy vinyl at really cheap discounted prices for your cricut, they also can create anything that you want them to. It's called The Wall Works. You can turn pictures and images into vinyl the same day. You can also create your own quotes and saying. They have the best prices you can find. Plus, you can ask them anything and they will find a way to do it for you free of charge. The site is http://www.thewallworks.com.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cutting Vinyl

Yes you can def cut vinyl with your cricut. I have had my cricut for a few yearsI run a small business. Irecently came across a site called VinylFad.com they have great vinyl at great prices. I recieved my order within the first week i ordered. I have ordered from a lot of diff sites and this has by far been the best! I have ordered silhoutte brand and it does not stick so be ware! This vinyl is the same price as silhoutte and it sticks really well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

YES to the vinyl and YES to the SCAL program! I have the Expression and have cut vinyl for both our rear car windows, the fireplace blocks have a design that is going to be changed to autumn leaves this week, kitchen jar labels and designs, and put chalkboard vinyl on my coffee canisters so I can use a chalk pen to write the flavor on the canister.
I buy my vinyl from Expressions Vinyl online, for MUCH better pricing than Wal-Mart, even with shipping. They ship fast and have coupons now and then for newsletter subscribers.
I wouldn't have gotten the Expression without finding the SCAL program. I find so many FREE svg's online that I literally feel like I can cut most anything. Inkscape is a free program you can convert and edit a jpg to save as an svg, so SCAL will cut it. Taking me awhile to learn Inkscape, but it isn't bad at all. Go for it, you won't regret it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=madstamper33;11303423]
Quote:

Originally Posted by vensung1View Post
Robyn,

Thanks![/QUOTE

Me too. Looks to complicated to choose from. Help!
My 2 cents. I use Oracal 651 for outdoor use and Oracal 631 for indoor use. I also purchase all of mine from Signwarehouse.

Congrats to you! Be careful though, cutting vinyl can be addicting ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joy4llyView Post
Many of you are saying that I don't need ink for the vinyl (btw, I checked at Michaels today and they do have it by the roll, 2 sheets of 12" x 24". $9.99 w/ 40% off that would be inexpensive but I think the treasurer of the club would inquire for me at the sign shops, because that is where they do business already to get the signs made professionally. Thanks for that tidbit of info about cheap or possible free scraps of vinyl.

JOY
So they were having the signs made by a sign shop in the past. Why not have them continue to make the signs "professionally".
I know this thread was started 2 years ago. Did you get the Cricut and cut the signs? Is the business still around? I was going to write some things that would probably get me kicked off the forum. But I really enjoy SCS. There are many great ideas and the members are very helpful. So I'll just say, Please do not take away business from some one trying to make a living. I say this as a small sign business owner.
Reply With Quote Likes