Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Tutorial: Using brass stencils with your Cuttle Bug and getting GREAT results!

The other day I read on a forum here about using red rubber plumbers gasket in the cuttle bug to do dry embossing with brass stencils and the fiskars embossing plates. Of course my curiosity was peeked, and I had to run to the hardware store and get the red rubber and try it out myself. I have to say that using the red rubber was absolutely the best method I have tried (though I haven't tried the wizard rubber yet) and get this, the "kit" that had the gasket was only $2.49!

Click here for the tutorial.

There are pictures on my blog of what the kit looks like, I am sure it is a common item carried by most hardware stores.

I found that using the red rubber and a cork pad that was in the kit actually worked the best, and I am amazed at how deep and clear the images are from this method.

Anyhow, the tutorial has the recipe and shows you my results. At some point I will also try to video this method so you can see it in action.

Please let me know if you find this tutorial useful, and also if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 03:56 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tutorial...I don't have time right now to try it but will asap. TFS...g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 04:34 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Great tutorial. How ingenious of you! TFS your time and talent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 04:39 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Cool! I love lesser expensive things. Would also love a video! Will give this a try next time I play with my Cuttlebug. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I will try to get the video done this weekend, really have to get some cards made though, will work on the cards tonight and see if I can do the video tomorrow.

The fiskars recipe goes through, but it is a bit harder to turn the handle then with the cuttlebug embossing folders, but it does a good job : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for sharing this! Told DH I need a plumber's gasket kit and he just looked at me like I was crazy....well, I am...a little...but now we have a reason to stop in at Lowe's on the way home from breakfast tomorrow! Yippee!! Can't wait to try this!!! Thanks again!

Finally....a blog of my own!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 06:37 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Thanks so much for the info! I was headed to Lowe's anyway this week. I put the kit on my list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkymommyView Post
Thanks so much for the info! I was headed to Lowe's anyway this week. I put the kit on my list.
Hi,

Did you find the Gasket kit at Lowes? If Yes, then in which section did you find it? Because I had gone there this weekend, and could not find it.
Thanks
Banu
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I went to Lowe's this weekend just to get this and they did not have the kit. They did, however, have sheets of rubber gasket only for a whopping 98 cents! I bought two!!! I have the cork already...that's easy to find...and didn't need the black stuff anyway. Came home and demonstrated it immediately for DH and I love it. In fact, I used it on the card I did for today's Technique challenge. Used the Fiskar's texture plate.

Finally....a blog of my own!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I've never used stencils, so I have a couple of questions. I checked a web site that sells them, and, there are several stencils on a 'sheet'. How do you only do one of them. can you cut them apart-or, is there another way! Thanks! Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffydonnaView Post
I've never used stencils, so I have a couple of questions. I checked a web site that sells them, and, there are several stencils on a 'sheet'. How do you only do one of them. can you cut them apart-or, is there another way! Thanks! Donna
Can you send me a link so I can see them? Here are a couple of links to companies that sell the brass stencils. What I like about them is that you can position them anywhere on the page, which you can't always do with the folders that are made for the cutlle bug.

Here are the links, and I will do a post on this later today on my blog:

http://goodimpressionsonline.com/templates.htm

http://www.thestencilcollection.com/...=brassstencils

And I have one more I haver to find.

Check my blog later for a post on the brass stencil : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenshebaView Post
I went to Lowe's this weekend just to get this and they did not have the kit. They did, however, have sheets of rubber gasket only for a whopping 98 cents! I bought two!!! I have the cork already...that's easy to find...and didn't need the black stuff anyway. Came home and demonstrated it immediately for DH and I love it. In fact, I used it on the card I did for today's Technique challenge. Used the Fiskar's texture plate.
Isn't it great? I am mad that the video I did really didn't show how great the impression is...sigh.

So glad it worked for you : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I have also had success using my "Bug" with brass stencils. However, I didn't use a plumber's gasket....I found some 40 guage rubber that comes in a sheet. It was at Lowe's with the wire and tubing. It was about $3.00 for a yard and is about 18 inches wide. I had plenty for me and lots to share with my friends. I am the Queen of Thrifty and thought that I had shared this tip before on SCS. I love finding stuff at the hardware store.

Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Just saw this link and wanted to double check the layering on this method. I have several brass templates, a lightbox too - but I would rather use my cb in one (or two) passes!! So, you use the A plate, then B plate, then the cork from the gasket kit followed by the red rubber from the gasket kit, card stock, stencil and then the B plate on top. Is this right?
Another question - some of you mentioned that you couldn't find the gasket kit - so you got the rubber - but already had the cork - so, iI don't have the cork, so how thick do I want it? I have a Lowe's close by, but also the Home Depot isn't far either - so thinking to check at both places - I am in for thrifty!!

Have you been to the SPA lately? Come see what I have been creating over at the Paper Spa
I Make cards for Operation Write Home
Visit myStampin' Up Website - where you will find all the latest greatest from Stampin' Up. The new catalog is GORGEOUS with alot of new fun stuff - and you can get it for free. Contact me for details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 379 Likes on 210 Posts

WOW! I LOVE to use the bug. What a great idea. I'll stop at my local hardware store after work tomorrow. Thanks for the tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcm2004View Post
Just saw this link and wanted to double check the layering on this method. I have several brass templates, a lightbox too - but I would rather use my cb in one (or two) passes!! So, you use the A plate, then B plate, then the cork from the gasket kit followed by the red rubber from the gasket kit, card stock, stencil and then the B plate on top. Is this right?
Another question - some of you mentioned that you couldn't find the gasket kit - so you got the rubber - but already had the cork - so, iI don't have the cork, so how thick do I want it? I have a Lowe's close by, but also the Home Depot isn't far either - so thinking to check at both places - I am in for thrifty!!
Yes: A plate, B plate, cork pad, rubber pad, paper, stencil, b plate and roll it through. I have pictures on my blog if that helps.

I have links to online resources for the rubber/cork as well on my blog. Call before you go to the hardward store so you can make sure they have it in stock. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Default can you help me with Edgeabilities dies in Cuttlebug?

Your video on the brass stencils in a Cuttlebug is GREAT! Can you help me with certain Spellbinders Edgeabilities dies in the Cuttlebug?I am extremely frustrated with trying to use my Sweet Garden Edgeability in my Cuttlebug. I can make the correct "sandwich" to cut, so that the bird faces right, toward the open side of the card.
BUT
I cannot figure out how to get that image to emboss correctly, so that the inside of the bird's wing, the leaves and the vine emboss on the front side of the card. I have followed every video, sandwich suggestion, etc., and the embossing ends up on the back side of the cut front! This particular Edgeability, as well as the Fern Foliage, and even the plain old Spellbinders Wheelbarrow die are beyond my logic in getting the embossed image to face toward the right!

Can you give me step-by-step instructions?

Thank you,
Stephanie Tindell
Maryville, TN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sctcatView Post
Your video on the brass stencils in a Cuttlebug is GREAT! Can you help me with certain Spellbinders Edgeabilities dies in the Cuttlebug?I am extremely frustrated with trying to use my Sweet Garden Edgeability in my Cuttlebug. I can make the correct "sandwich" to cut, so that the bird faces right, toward the open side of the card.
BUT
I cannot figure out how to get that image to emboss correctly, so that the inside of the bird's wing, the leaves and the vine emboss on the front side of the card. I have followed every video, sandwich suggestion, etc., and the embossing ends up on the back side of the cut front! This particular Edgeability, as well as the Fern Foliage, and even the plain old Spellbinders Wheelbarrow die are beyond my logic in getting the embossed image to face toward the right!

Can you give me step-by-step instructions?

Thank you,
Stephanie Tindell
Maryville, TN

I wish I could help, but I do not have the spellbinders. Can you post a picture of what you mean and I can make suggestions? Maybe you have to completely reverse your sandwhich and emboss on the opposite side?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

great blog, great info. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Are templates and stencils the same thing? I just ordered a couple of templates from good impressions and now wonder if I made a mistake. can you use them with the cb and the red rubber technique? Oops! I think I goofed, didn't I? Donna Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 04:12 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Are templates and stencils the same thing? I just ordered a couple of templates from good impressions and now wonder if I made a mistake. can you use them with the cb and the red rubber technique? Oops! I think I goofed, didn't I? Donna Thanks
What are the templates made from?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

They are made of brass! They talk about using a light box and tracing. Maybe they are ok but the tutorial is just another technique. I don't know. Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

They are made of brass! They talk about using a light box and tracing. Maybe they are ok but the tutorial is just another technique. I don't know. Donna
They are the same thing. It is just some companies call them stencils and some templates. You can use them in the bug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Question Dry Embossing

:confused: What a great idea! I don't have a Cuttle BUg maching. I do have a Big Kick
machine. Do you think that it would work on the Sissix?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Thank you so much for all the time you spent on this. We really appreciate the hints, etc. Off to the hardware store!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Actually, it is one of the web sites you suggested-The Stencil Collection. It lokks like there are several things on some of the stencils. That is why I asked if you cut them apart. I have yet to try using these, so, maybe when i do try them i'll answer my own question! Thanks! Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I think your question was answered, but it seems you ordered the right one. I also did a post a few days ago on ways to use the stencils, so many things you can do with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Question Flatten them back out???

I have used one of my brass stencils in my Cb and used a thin mouse pad that I got at the dollar store. It worked well for the image. My problem is that I can't flatten my stencil back out! It has a slight curve to it, and I have piled stuff high on top of it trying to flatten it again! It is one of the larger (card front size) ones.
I wouldn't care except that I also want to continue using them with embossing paste, and they need to be FLAT for that...
Anyone else run into this?
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane7View Post
I have used one of my brass stencils in my Cb and used a thin mouse pad that I got at the dollar store. It worked well for the image. My problem is that I can't flatten my stencil back out! It has a slight curve to it, and I have piled stuff high on top of it trying to flatten it again! It is one of the larger (card front size) ones.
I wouldn't care except that I also want to continue using them with embossing paste, and they need to be FLAT for that...
Anyone else run into this?
Diane
I used the mouse pad but didn't get as deep results, mine tend to bend a bit also, I just turn them the other way and "iron" them by passing them through the CB again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for sharing this with us! I have brass stencils I "had" to have, but still haven't used. It was really helpful to see all of your pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseLadyView Post
I used the mouse pad but didn't get as deep results, mine tend to bend a bit also, I just turn them the other way and "iron" them by passing them through the CB again
Not sure if I tried this or not... I will give it a go... THanks!
Diane
( P.S. I think I added my cardstock shims too (with the mouse pad)...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

In case anyone wants to look, I typed in 'Do It Yourself Gasket Kit and a site came up with True Value as one of the places to get it. I haven't checked the store yet. Will do so on Monday. Our local Lowe's didn't have it.
Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

When I mentioned the gasket kit to my dh, he said you can get something like that at an auto parts store - that Lowe's or Home Depot wouldn't have it. I have not checked any auto parts stores here yet, but plan to find time today.

Have you been to the SPA lately? Come see what I have been creating over at the Paper Spa
I Make cards for Operation Write Home
Visit myStampin' Up Website - where you will find all the latest greatest from Stampin' Up. The new catalog is GORGEOUS with alot of new fun stuff - and you can get it for free. Contact me for details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Darn its Sunday and my local hardware store is closed now I have to wait until tomorrow to try. The tutorial was GREAT!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Ditto to that! I will check True Value Hardware. I'll let you know if I find it there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

Is there a favorite Stencil that you all use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 02:08 AM   #37  
dkc
Inking Addict

Home Depot on NH seacoast does not carry the gasket either. They referred me to a local auto parts store. Haven't gotten there yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #38  
Embossing Fanatic

I have looked in quite a few places-the latest being True Value-from a tip I received. I can't find the Do It Yourself Kit for use with the templates. I found a nice sized piece of red rubber. The only cork I found was a roll-way too much. Any ideas for using something other than cork? Thanks! Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

I just called one of our local auto parts stores - Champion Auto - and they carry a kit with a blue pad, cork, and red pad for about $7.50
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

It seems the search for the elusive red pad and cork continues!:rolleyes:
I really had good luck with mine, using a cheap dollar store mouse pad (Dora the explorer to be exact!), which is significantly thinner than a regular mouse pad. Although I just realized that I also use the tan mat that I got for embossing with my nesties (cheap too I think). Here is my "sandwich" that I used-
A-B- mousepad(rubber up)-tan mat-cardstock-brass stencil-B

Mine turned out very deep. I am not sure if I put that card in my gallery yet, but I will attach it here later if it isn't.

Good luck ladies as you continue to search for the rubber pad. The thought of the scrapbooking world now taking over a car parts and plumbing stores makes me giggle!:mrgreen:

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes